Camping int winter.

ultimatesurvivor

When taking a trip in the winter do you opt to stay in a tent or a cabin? Of course I'm referring to places where it gets below freezing point, not the Mediterranean where you get 90 in winter too. We usually rent a cabin, can't convince my friends to freeze there butt of in a tent :).

Michael

I've only been winter camping once, and it was in a tent.

That night, I learned one of the key things about winter camping: Put down a tarp so that the snow doesn't melt and soak you while you sleep. That morning was genuinely awful.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
For winter camping I use my smaller tent to maximize heat retention. And yes, always throw down a ground sheet or at least a bed of spruce or cedar boughs if available. You can use pine too, but the pine pitch gets all over your tent, so if you have to use trees, go for one of the other species first if possible.

If you pitch your tent in a good sheltered area and have decent gear, you can camp in some surprisingly cold weather and stay pretty comfortable. I build a long, narrow fire to radiate heat in a wider area, and the tents are never down-slope from the fire. We will sometimes also clear the snow a bit and pile it up to build a wind block with it. You can use sticks and branches for this purpose too.

Edit: I should add too that we also throw the tree boughs around the campsite on the ground to provide some traction against the ice. When the fire melts the snow and it re-freezes it can get very slick, so the tree boughs (small ones) scattered around the camp area helps to prevent falls and injuries.

Last edited:

lbean

I like a nice warm cabin in the winter. Of course I am also the sort of person who is always cold because I have low blood pressure. I just cant imagine camping in the winter time. I respect those who can do it though.

CBatch

I would love to camp in the winter in a cabin. I would even love to camp in the snow if there was a cabin that was all warm and toasty. You could cross country ski and then come back and get warm.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Well, I've camped in cold weather, sometimes because I chose to, other times because I had no choice. If you have a good sleeping bag that is rated at -20F, you'll probably be okay unless you're in the arctic.It's fun until you have to get up in the morning. This involves getting into your clothes very quickly and moving around until you are warm again.

I remember camping in northern Wisconsin in December when the temperatures ranged from +5 to -20F for a week. I ate five meals a day while hunting snowshoe hare. They were big meals too, lots of egg noodles with meat and fat. When I got home I had lost three pounds.

BigBear

I don't think I have ever even considered going camping when it was cold out. The coolest we have dealt with is upper 40's overnight and I was a pretty un-happy person. I don't really consider staying in a cabin camping though, and I would do that in the Winter.

OpenFire

I would prefer a cabin in the winter, however I have been winter camping before and it actually isn't too bad if you have the right equipment and a fire.

Thumper

I don't like to camp during winter. I would rather stay home in my good warm house and watch it snow. I love to watch it snow while the fire crackles in the fireplace.

WalkingMan

I'm with you Thumper. I know the procedure and if I had to I would do it. But no major disaster has happened that we've had to do it yet. I hope it never happens but I have to say I love the cabin and fire in winter.

FireBuilder

Add me to the wimpy list! I am a warm weather camper. Rain I can handle, but not snow. Everything ends up soaked, and even when I get home I can't dry it out.

IndianaHiker

I normally still dont bring a tent. I use my Insulated sleeping pad and my warm sleeping bag. A tent unless a very expensive one wont retain much warmth but it does provide a good wind block. If the temps are cold and windy then I bring my small backpacking tent.

shawnboy60

Winter camping

Winter camping in a tent can be fun remember to keep as dry as possible , dress in layers and bring plenty of food you need the extra calories and who wants to be cold and hungry ?

Martsing

There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear. I love winter camping in a tent. I have a 0-deg bag and a Gunnison 2.1. Aside from that just layer up! A good sleeping pad is worth it's weight in gold when the temps dip.

My troop goes winter camping several times every year and there are small tricks to keeping warm when the temps get low.