Camping on by the water or does it matter?

KatieMarie

We are really water people. When we go on vacation (if not camping) we always tend to go to the water. It's pretty much the same with camping. We always seem to find ourselves finding campsites/grounds that or on or near the water. What about you? Does it matter at all?

wvbreamfisherman

Doesn't really matter to me, unless I'm planning to fish, on the other hand, it's pretty convenient to have a source of water handy. I usually end up camping close to a stream of some sort if possible.

WillaMarie

We almost always try to get near the water. If just camping in the woods we will pick a place that has a nice lake or small pond on it.

LindaLou

Oh we are definitely water people! We always look for camp grounds that have a nice lake or pond around it. If nothing else and we will look for at least a pool!

T

tentrus

I don't like to be near the water but I like water in the area. The kids love to swim when we camp. We do go to the beach each year too. We always get a hotel right on the beach!

ponderosa

I don't particularly like to play in the water, but I do like to drink water, so yeah, I always try to camp near a lake or creek.

ppine

Forester
In Nevada the driest state, water is not always close at hand. It is easy with all of this room to car camp and not have anyone else around. So that is the trade off. It is really nice to have the boat on the beach in front of the campsite. I can highly recomment boat camping without campgrounds too.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I prefer camping near water because it means I have to carry less water on my back. I also like the scenery of a remote pond or stream.

I like running water best because it drowns out all the other sounds and I can sleep. I'm a light sleeper and every little noise has me waking up thinking a bear is in camp. If we're by running water I don't hear those sounds.

Only problem is that in this area if you are camping in the backcountry you have to be at least 150 feet from any body of water (with the exception of shelters and designated sites) so if we want to camp near water we have to do stealth camping.

Grandpa

Only problem is that in this area if you are camping in the backcountry you have to be at least 150 feet from any body of water (with the exception of shelters and designated sites) so if we want to camp near water we have to do stealth camping.
LNT varies with the area, based on particular needs. Most of the west is 200 ft from water, but some places may go all the way to 1/4 mile while others can be right on the water. One of my most favorite spots lies between two streams 75 feet apart emptying into a lake that is about 50 feet from the firepit. If you go off into the trees and put up a tent, you can be cited. Of course, this is an area that in a busy week, you may see one or two other groups the entire week. Many of the Yellowstone designated campsites are also within a few feet of the water.

Ooops sorry Briansnat, I originally missed that you included "designated" campsites.

Last edited: