Camping with an infant

JDSport

I get many strange looks when I tell people I took my 1 month old camping in a tent. He did well and so did we. How old were your kids when you started tenting it?

frank6160

My kids were older but my granson was 6 months when he first went. Only because he was born in December.

Gracy

I didn't camp with my kids that young but only because I just didn't want to have all the extra hassles of lugging along all we would need. My youngest went camping for the first time when he was a year old.... that was a little hard because he was just starting to walk well but he had a really hard time balancing on the lake ground where we were... also it was really cold and windy so we spent most of our time inside.

I think if you are comfortable with it then by all means camp with your infant. My only worry would be them being to cold or hot...... but if the temps are nice go for it! :)

HikingGuy

My son was about six months when he first went camping, he too was born in December and we took him that first summer after he was born. My wife also went camping while she was pregnant.

evergreen

Don't have juniors yet, but I wouldn't take them into the middle of nowhere, which is usually where I go. If I were however going somewhere not to far away from civilization I'd see no problem in taking them with me.

Noah

If the child doesn't seem to mind than I don't see why not. My baby didn't like camping when really little so when we realized this we held off a few years. He love to go now and we have a lot more fun with our happy child.

OpenFire

My father took me camping at a very young age. I believe I was about 2 months old and he said I had a great time. I seem to have come out okay!

jdoc260

The first time my daughter went camping, she was 3 and my son was about 8-9 months old. They both seemed to enjoy it, except mom & dad. William started crawling that week and we were expecting an immobile child. My second son, who is now 6 months old has been camping several times now. They all seem more content when outdoors. At home, if the little ones get fussy, we simply step outside with them and they stop and are happy, as long as they aren't hungry or have some dirty pants. As far as all the associated "stuff," there really isn't much more to take for us. None of our kids were\are bottle fed which eliminates the need for all that stuff and we just use grocery bags for the diapers. We have not attempted any long excursions with the little ones yet. Will probably wait til they are all out of diapers before we attempt anything like that. And as far as the heat\cold goes, dress accordingly. I don't like being snowbound in a tent myself, so I don't plan on putting my kids in that situation. We wear our babies so they stay real close to us and therefore share body heat.

RatherBRiding

It seems to depend on the baby. Our first son loved it and our second son hated it. Go figure. Funny thing is, now that they are older, it is just the opposite!

Seven

My kids love camping. I have been taking them since they were infants and have never had a problem with it. Long as your child/children enjoy it go for it!

Mysty1

There are many people that are old school and think you shouldn't even take your child out of the house to early much less camping, but I took mine early and if the child is breast feeding then it doesn't take but a few diapers, plus they usually love the cosiness of the tent especially if they're in between the parents, its usually the toddler years that seem harder to me.
What it comes down to is if your child is healthy and likes it and if you enjoy it then have go have fun.