Canceled trip

DThewanderer

I canceled my camping trip this weekend and I am feeling a little stressed about it. I had a trip planed with me and a couple friends. Then another friend found out and invited himself along. The problem is that he brings a black cloud every where he goes and bad things always seem to happen when he comes. Was I wrong to cancel the trip?

northernbushape

The Jeepist
Tough call. It's difficult to be diplomatic sometimes where friends are concerned. I know a few people too who can be a real challenge on an outing and I tend to avoid adventuring with them. You know the type - always complaining and bringing drama, stubborn, poorly prepared, and too egotistical to listen to anybody else. Drives me nuts and I would rather not be around them in some situations.

You could always try sitting down with them and laying it all out. Maybe they don't know they are acting that way. Tell them straight up that if they spoil your adventure with their bad juju that it will be the last trip they come on. Even freindship needs to have boundries.

Seems a shame to deny yourself your trip because of one other person. That being said, I know where you're stuck. Been there too.

Hope it works out for ya!

oldmangunner

I know what you mean. I hate when people invite themselves along. You have to just lay it out, if he is a friend then something should be worked out. I remember once I took my daughter and her friend camping. Her friend came screaming and crying to me. Turns out she was just upset because there was no place to plug in her curling iron and hair dryer.

ultimatesurvivor

If you only canceled the trip out of superstition, than you just wasted a weekend getaway for nothing. If he generally does something bad, not by accident, note clumsiness applies as an accident, than maybe you should reconsider your friendship, it's just going to cause you more headaches in the future, if you have to cancel plans everytime just because you don't want to spend time with him.

foxylady

I probably would have went anyway and told him the truth, that there was a reason he wasn't invited. I am pretty blunt that way though and I believe in complete honesty. Maybe he doesn't realize he is such a gloomy Gus.

hydethebeef

I agree, I mean you could tell him it's off and go but he would find out. You can cancel the trip but now you don't get your trip. I say be honest. Can I ask what sort of things happen when he comes along?

Gracy

Sometimes you just have to be secretive about your plans... I'd say plan another trip and don't tell anyone you're going!