Canoeist Drowns

DMan

Sadly, an 18 year old girl drowned on the weekend. She was out in a canoe with her boyfriend. He was paddling and she was playing her guitar. They weren't even far from shore. But the canoe capsized, tossing them into 6 feet of near freezing temperature water. Ironically they were almost on top of a sandbar. The guy was barely able to walk to shore because of the extreme cold. She didn't make it. If only they'd been wearing life jackets the results may have been better. So please always wear your life jacket when boating.

Grandpa

Hi...

What a terrible tragedy...all (according to the post) because of someone's ignorance, lack of smarts, or whatever you want to call it.

Yes, ALWAYS wear that PFD...!! That can't be stressed enough.
Agreed, and even if you are careless, lazy or stupid, you still wear it in that kind of cold water.

Newanderthal

What kind of water were they in that she could play a guitar and they could still flip a canoe? Someone was acting like an idiot. Canoes don't just flip. I've only flipped once and it involved Class II rapids and an unseen rock beneath the water.

I'll bet someone was standing up in that boat.

Wear the PFD, don't act like an idiot, and don't get complacent.

Milly

Why would you even want to carry a guitar with you when you are out on the water? I see all kinds of dumb people, who really have no business in a canoe. I once saw a couple flip their boat near a rock wall. The guy tried to swim in between the canoe and the wall. In the position he was getting himself into, he could have gotten trapped and drowned.

CozInCowtown

What kind of water were they in that she could play a guitar and they could still flip a canoe? Someone was acting like an idiot. Canoes don't just flip. I've only flipped once and it involved Class II rapids and an unseen rock beneath the water.

I'll bet someone was standing up in that boat.

Wear the PFD, don't act like an idiot, and don't get complacent.
I was thinking the same thing.
One and One are not equaling Two here.....need more information.
DC

dinosaur

troublemaker
Although it is sad that she drowned, I have to agree with the majority. Why would you go out on to frigid water without a life jacket? Of course the first thought that comes to mind is "young and stupid". On the other hand there is the distinct possibility she was playing some repetetive lyriced song like "Michael rowed a boat ashore" or "Cumbaya" or even "Ninety-nine bottles of beer" and her boyfriend couldn't stand it any longer and accidentally capsized the canoe while diving out of it in a state of cerebral apoplexy that confounded his senses to such an extent that he had no memory of the occurence once he made it to shore.

Hey, it could happen.

Last edited:

wvbreamfisherman

Utter foolishness on both their parts. ALWAYS wear a PFD. I spilled a canoe in 18 inches of water one time (an embarassing incident involving a riffle and a submerged rock ...).

I could have easily hit my head on another rock and drowned if I wasn't wearing a PFD. Frigid water is another serious danger. No matter how good a swimmer you are, you can't swim if you are unconscious!

Newanderthal

hmmm... what should I take for a day on the water? Well, certainly not a life jacket. It would interfere with my guitar strumming.

Marshmallow

It is so sad when someone this young dies needlessly. Oh, how bad I feel for her family and especially for the person who was with her. Even if they were doing dumb things, death is a high price to pay for being dumb.

oldsarge

It is so sad when someone this young dies needlessly. Oh, how bad I feel for her family and especially for the person who was with her. Even if they were doing dumb things, death is a high price to pay for being dumb.
All jokes aside...yes this is true!

ppine

Forester
Canoeists are always anxious to get out on the water after ice out. The water is always cold and canoes commonly turn over. This is a recipe for disaster that plays out every spring in North America. The further North you go, the more it tends to happen.

I will suggest people wear life jackets in canoes even if I don't know them, and even if it really pisses them off.

edit-The thing that kills people in the spring time in canoes is water temperature. People need to dress for immersion even though it is uncomfortable at times.

Last edited:

Pathfinder1

[QUOTE=ppine;

I will suggest people wear life jackets in canoes even if I don't know them, and even if it really pisses them off.

Hi...

I don't blame you...I, also would be so tempted.

The unfortunate truth is that many people don't take/won't listen to...unsolicited advice.

But, you can only try, eh?

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Well, here's another potentially preventable drowning...!!

Per CBS Chicago today, a 37-year old man was "attacked" by a SWAN. His kayak tipped over and he drowned.

His father told CBS Chicago his son was wearing heavy clothing and boots in the kayak...but, no life jacket...!!

How incredibly ignorant and stupid can these people be when they WON'T wear life jackets when afloat? This death might have been PREVENTED by one simple act...PUT ON YOUR LIFE JACKET. (If it seems like I'm preaching...I AM!).

My condolences to his family.

ChadTower

I have been attacked by a swan in a canoe. Some of those swans are real *******s. ;)

All of the obvious things have been touched on here.

"shame she was so young"
"should have had a lifejacket"
"water was too cold"
"Why would she have a guitar"

I have a couple others:

Don't guitars float?
She drowns and he lives. Don't date that guy.