Clean drinking water

Yogi

If you got lost for an extended period of time, the issue of clean drinking water would eventually come up. What if you weren't able to boil water? You could really mess yourself up by drinking bad water.

Refrigerator

Several options/ You would have to take a look at what you have on hand and what's availiable around you.
Grape Vines always has a water supply if you know where to cut not killing the vine. Another option is a solar still, just google that and wowa much info on this, another option is to make yourself a water filter like this one...

How to make a water filter in the wilderness

Water Procurement for Survival

FireBuilder

I've always known about boiling water, but never knew about filtering it. Thanks for the articles, Fridge!

The other note I would add (since it's currently snowing outside) is a reminder to melt snow before drinking it.

John13np

If it were a life and death situation, always drink the water. Even if there is larva floating on top. Something most people do not realize is that you don't have that great of chance of actually getting sick by drinking dirty water. Most of our bodies can handle it.

People just live by the rule, Better Safe than Sorry. I agree with that, but not if I have no options.

Barney

I always carry water filters and chlorine or iodine water purification tablets. Boiling water may be the most elegant and obvious solution but having extra pieces of gear won't hurt.

Joe S.

I was always taught to keep water purification tablets in my survival kit. It's possible if you got lost that you wouldn't have something with you to boil water in, so the tablets could really be a help.

hunter44mag

Water purification tablets should always be in your pack. Also, look for cattails, they are nature's filters. Drink from the downstream side.

Jobiwan

If I had to, I would drink the water in an emergency situation. Filtering out most of the debris with a piece of clothing. Giardia takes a week or so to grow and become the diuretic is is known for. If in the situation of dehydrating to death or a case of "Beaver fever" I would drink the water.

oldsarge

I drank water from jungle streams many times with no ill effect. It was either that or become a heat casualty.