Cooling Water, The Natural Way

HappyFeet

Most times the water we drink on camps are lukewarm. I learned from a friend of mine that we can cool the water without the use of ice or freezer. We will place the water container filled with water in the stream. Cover it with rocks so it won't move. After some time the water in the container will be as cool as the stream.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
Yup, that's the age-old way to do it. When we do a group camp with a bunch of us, a buddy has an old plastic milk crate that holds our cans very nicely. It gets tied to a tree on the bank so the fish don't steal our beer.

One thing I would watch out for though is using threaded lids this way in lake water. Not a good idea. The lake water can actually seep through the threads and contaminate the contents. Not so bad in flowing water that you know is clean though.

hydethebeef

Huh, I wonder how I never figured that one out. That sounds like a fantastic way to keep water cool. I have always just drank it warm too!

southerngal

I thought everyone did this! We always put our stuff in containers in the stream but I guess that's just because that's how we were taught to do it!

CFlyer

My father taught us this trick too. Back in the old days, my father would just dig a hole beside a stream and he can make a spring. We would drink from that spring. We would fill our water containers and then leave it in the stream overnight and we will have a cold water to drink the next day.

limaker

I remember years ago there used to be a creek down from a friends house and when we used to have the occasional beer (yes, beer) we would do the same. Nothing like cold mountain water to chill a beer before you crack it open. ;)