Courses of Self Taught?

OpenAir

Have you done any survival courses, as a part of an organisation or by your own choice? Or are your survival skills all self taught, perhaps from books or other reading?

southerngal

All of ours have been self taught so far and we have a long way to go. We have gotten some books, watched some youtube videos, and found lots of good websites online. After we are pretty confident about how something should be done we go out and try it.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
I am trained, mentored, and self-taught.

I practice a lot too - daily in some form or another. It could be anything from small projects to simply finding a better way to pack my gear, but I hone my skills always.

hummingbird

I've read tons of books and I'm always watching videos online about wilderness survival. My father taught me how to fish and hunt when I was a child growing up. I don't hunt now but I could if I had too. As far as other skills, I pretty much taught myself.

RoughRider

Well, during an emergency last night (a neighbor's house caught on fire), I learned I can no longer run. I can walk all day but I don't appreciate the fact that time has decided to rob me of a valuable skill. I am determined this summer to try to get that skill back again. As for survival skills, my father taught me long ago to survive in the wild and to hunt, fish and trap. I could make do if I had to but I hope not to have to in my lifetime.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

lovetohunt

Self taught here too, although I would love to find a course on Wilderness survival. I think it would be a blast, hard work too. I have watched many shows and read books too.

Luvoutdoors

Most of our survival skills are self taught although my husband already knew how to hunt, fish, process animals, and set traps and snares. Everything else like building fires and shelters we have learned the hard way.

outdoorlover001

everything I know has been learned in the military or self taught. There are a lot of books on the subject. The school of hard knocks will teach you a lot also

Erwin

I am self taught/family taught and I think it is the way to go. I have read books, but learn by doing better than a book. I never thought to look up video's so now I may do that!

Michael

I've learned by doing, by having people show me stuff, and by reading stuff. I haven't taken a survival course, but I'd do it if the topic was interesting.

IndianaHiker

The best survival skills is to know enough and be prepared with the right gear and proper planning to not have to use survival skills. When I go out I carry a day or two if extra food, the ability to filter water, and warm enough cloths or sleeping bag to stop hypothermia. In addition to that I leave details of where I am going and a time line of where I should be and when I will get there. This way if something happens I already have emergency response planned and wont stuck in a situation where I have to do the survival mode.

oldsarge

Previous military training and self taught. The key is to take what you're learning from books and try it in the field. There are so many places on line that help also. Nothing is better than attending a school of some sort. You can pick the minds of those teaching and learn from other students as well. Either way, what ever way you learn, practice it!