Coyotes

Thumper

We are having a lot of trouble with coyotes stealing young livestock and poultry in our area. A bunch of us have talked about going to hunt down the coyotes but I was wondering if they have a hunting season anywhere for them. I don't think we do locally as they are getting overpopulated right now but I am going to check. Are they regulated in your areas?

HikingGuy

There is a coyote cull this fall in my area because they are so out of control. We have had some here kill people and attack children on school grounds.

OutdoorsGirl

Coyotes are pretty but I'd rather admire them from a distance, up close they scare the pants off of me!

greensteelforge

Shoot all you want, as long as there's an abundant supply of food, they'll likely out-breed any culling you can muster. The best way to deal with predators getting at livestock is to either deny them the food source (higher fences, or other barriers), or employ guard animals like llamas (nasty, and they bite, kick and spit). It certainly seems to be more satisfying to people to shoot the coyotes, though. Culling inevitably seems to lead to a cyclical problem, and could even wind up with such reduced populations (if overwhelming enough to wipe them out) that they become protected. Usually, the best way to knock down the coyote population is to do a lot of rabbit hunting, and if you feel the need, shoot a few coyotes. If you shoot lots of coyotes, you'll make for a big breeding year or two for rabbits. The two populations are tied, so when you see lots of rabbits, figure on lots of coyotes next year, unless you eat allot of bunny instead of letting the 'yotes have them.

Chary

In most areas there isn't a hunting season for coyotes. The only people that are going to howl if you shoot them are the animal lovers that have gone nuts about things like this. You can't let them freely kill your livestock so do whatever you have to do.

dinosaur

troublemaker
greensteelforge is right. If the coyotes are taking your livestock or damaging crops, you have a right to destroy them. They have excellent pelts and, believe it or not, make a wonderful stew. Go for it!