Coyotes

crosscountry

We have a lot of coyotes where I live and I have been lucky enough not to come across one. I wouldn't know what to do to come out safely. What should I do if I am facing down a coyote?

Thumper

Give them a wide berth. Give them as much space as possible. Think of a dog when you think of a coyote. You don't want to move suddenly and you don't want to run-that only triggers the chase instinct. If you stare at them directly, you are challenging them so don't stare them down.

Michael

Most coyotes want to see you about as much as you want to see them. Most cases of coyote attacks are on children left alone or by coyotes that have grown too comfortable with people. So don't leave kids alone near the woods and don't treat the coyotes like they're your pet dog.

The bulk of coyotes will run off if they see, hear, or smell you. To them you are a strange animal, and they mostly want no part of you (aside from your garbage). So most of the time, you just want to let them know that you're there in a non-threatening way that also doesn't indicate that you are food. Talking often does the trick.

It is my experience that most coyotes HATE fire. They absolutely will not come remotely close to a camp fire. It's a natural instinct to avoid fire, which usually means a deadly threat; in some areas they might learn otherwise, but I haven't bumped into this. Even when camping in an area with several packs of hunting coyotes, I've never had one willing to approach my camp fire closely enough that I've noticed them.

Generally, the two things you want to do is to be calm and be noticeable. You want them to know you're there. You want them to think you're not afraid. 99% of the time, they'll take a glance at you and bugger off.

faye

If I'm facing a real coyote, I do what I can to discourage a coyote's approach - I will just yell, stomp my feet, throw small rocks or sticks at the animal. During camping I always carry a walking stick with me.

dinosaur

troublemaker
The last time I went camping where there were a lot of coyotes, I took my animal with me. He's a Red Wolf named Chewbacca. The coyotes won't come anywhere near him. In the absence of this type of camping buddy or a gun, all of the above advice is quite sound.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
I live in a coyote belt here. I have faced down many. I simply make myself big and the encounter is over just like that. The ones we have out west here are smaller than the eastern ones, so they are very timid, but sneaky like a crack head. I would not underestimate a group of them though, and even a single coyote, I would not turn my back on him for any reason. But if he is in front of me and in my path, he is moving, and not me. If it's a pack, then okay, I'll move.

The only time I felt threatened by them at all was in a local park. I was geocaching at night last winter and I could hear a couple of local packs hollering back and forth, and within 10 minutes or so I became aware that they actually had me surrounded. I was crossing a clearing and they were about 100 yards off all around me in the tree line. I estimated 8-10 based on vocalizations.

Nothing came of it because the minute I realized they were on the move and surrounding me I cut right up the middle and ended up behind them and out of harms way. Needless to say I won't geocache in that park alone at night any more.

Alliegator

Any wild animal can be dangerous in the right circumstance. Northerbushape gave some good advice-make yourself big, talk and like Thumper said, don't run unless they are coming after you like Northernbushape said. Unfortunately with us all encroaching on their territory we will see more and more wild animals. Coyotes are not trustworthy. That's why the Native Americans thought the coyotes were one of the physical manifestations of Kokopelli-the trickster.

Jade

Coyotes are a serious problem where I live. Small dogs being walked on leashes have been attacked in front of their horrified owners, while out for an evening walk. One of the most adaptable mammals on the planet, they can be found in almost any region. NBA, Thumper, and the others are all bang-on about what to do when confronted with one.

Growing up on a farm, we were taught that sometimes you can't prevent the oncoming attack, but you can win the fight: we were taught to give the attacking animal our non-dominant hand/forearm, grab the animal by the throat with the dominant hand, and choke it to death. Having witnessed it first-hand, I know it can work, but I don't think I'm that tough.