Depth of the Dive

nomad

How deep do you usually go when you go scuba diving? What is the depth limit for a regular person in a scuba dive? As I've seen on documentaries, the deeper the dive, the more excitement you will have as you will see more exotic creatures of the deep.

uncletom

100ft deep is about max with air. And then it better be a short dive. Use a computer watch so you don't get the bends, Thats terrible. Not always the deeper the dive the more you see.

Hayley

If you aren't confident, don't go alone either. It's important to know what you're doing all the way, or it could lose its fun appeal!

RabbyTat

Been all over, but MS and LA at the moment
Most new divers limit themselves to about 60 feet. The idea is not to go deeper because it is possibly more interesting, but rather to learn about the area so that you know what to expect. From there, make a plan which safely gets you there and back.

I have had great dives shallower than 20 feet and been down as deep as 125. I enjoyed all but one. In the first case, there were a host of fish and other creatures just off of the dock in Palau which were fun to photo. In the second, we were looking at a deep tunnel which comes out into the ocean. We dropped through quickly; exited and then continued to a fairly shallow depth in comfort and safety. But we went through a planning exercise and used good computers.

Get certified.
Get the right equipment.
Follow the guidelines while watching out for your buddies.

scubaghost

Most new divers limit themselves to about 60 feet. The idea is not to go deeper because it is possibly more interesting, but rather to learn about the area so that you know what to expect. From there, make a plan which safely gets you there and back.
Get certified.
Get the right equipment.
Follow the guidelines while watching out for your buddies.
Completely agree. 130 feet max is the general rule for ow(open water) certification, although I did have to go 145 once to chase a buddy that wasn't paying attention. Yes, I ran out of air about 30 ft. deep or so but they train you how to handle that. Advanced classes will train you to go deeper. I can't remember right off the top of my head but I believe 220 ft. is the max depth for scuba.