Do you work out

Dodger

Do those of you who go hiking a lot work out or do you just naturally have the strength to hike wherever you want? Strength hasn't ever been an issue for me but I get tired when I walk a long ways.

Fletcher

I don't think you need to work out every day but it wouldn't hurt to at least work out a few times a week. Go take a short hike and see how well you do before you get tired then figure out what you think you need to do to increase your duration.

Bradsalex

Dodger,

I would say that if you don't think strength is an issue for you in your hiking then work on some cardio. Start walking/running daily to build up your stamina, this is (I believe) why you get tired during long hikes. If you don't plan on doing any real rock/alpine climbing I don't think you need to worry so much about your strength training.

Use a stair climber or an elliptical a couple of times a week to work up your ability to take longer treks. If you don't have the ability to go to a gym or have gym equipment at home, jog up and down your stairs 10-15 times, or go out and take a run in your neighborhood. But like other hikers will tell you, nothing prepares you for a long trek like trekking itself.

Take some time to build up your hiking stamina by do intervals. For 2 weeks do about 5-8 miles, then the next two weeks do 10-15 miles, and so on until you reach your goal.

I hope this helps out.

MtnManLeap

I have a gym member ship just because I want to stay in form for hikeing.....notice I did not say shape. Because for me Backpacking has become a mind set.

failghe

No I don't work out other than the Miller Lite 12oz curl. If I don't go out for awhile I can't go too far. I do build up slowly and go farther each time. I also like to stop to smell the roses as they say every now and then. For me it is a little how far can I go and a little stop and enjoy the sites, sounds, and smells of nature.

Archer

Sometimes I just don't have the time to make it out for a hike. Dare I say, that's actually most often the case! I like to go for runs around the neighborhood when that happens, so I guess I technically run more than I walk.

javen

Hiking a lot is equivalent to working out your body, you burn calories while you're on the move. You gain strength and stamina on your upper and lower extremities while hiking. If you have been hiking for so long, it will be less tiring for you to do it in later days.

Pebbles

I do work out on a regular basis and I'm sure that help with our hikes. But, to be honest, most of the time we go as a family and take the easier trails just to make sure the kids can make it all the way. Carrying a 40lb kid I could handle, but the whining would kill me,:tinysmile_hmm_t:

Navigator

I live for hiking and backpacking but I'm lucky if I can get out more than a couple times a month (at least for backpacking). I cross train by running 4 miles every other day and often switching up with bike riding. I find running keeps up my overall aerobic fitness so I'm not huffing and puffing hauling a pack up a mountain, and cycling complements that as well by working a slightly different set of muscles.

Grandpa

Ouch, those squats look like they would hurt worse than a 20 mile day. However, grandma signed me up at the gym two weeks ago. I'm finding it rathe enjoyable. Especially when all those sweet young things come in to work out.

Refrigerator

Ouch, those squats look like they would hurt worse than a 20 mile day. However, grandma signed me up at the gym two weeks ago. I'm finding it rathe enjoyable. Especially when all those sweet young things come in to work out.
Now Grandpa..you talking about those sweet donuts they bring in to give you after you work out?

Lorax

Constantly. If I want to stay active and keep living the outdoor lifestyle, then it pays to take care of the equipment that gets me out there. I try to get to the gym for total body workouts 4-6 times a week. 30-35 minutes weights and 25-45 minutes cardio.

Every year I go to my doctor, he tells me...."Come back next year and I'll tell you how I'm doing!"

oldsarge

Those squats are great, I was up to 600 reps at one time. Matt Furey, author of "Combat Conditioning" did 2000 non stop at one point. They will definitely get those pegs in shape for hiking season. Of course you don't have to knock out killer reps either.