Dutch Oven or grille

trader

what is your preferred method of cooking when you're out there in the middle of nowhere? A Dutch Oven or a grille? Or do you really rough it and just build a campfire?

southerngal

We just do the grill but that's mostly because I haven't found a suitable dutch oven yet to take with us when we go camping.

Gracy

We only cook on grill or pan.......... haven't gotten into the DO cooking although we mostly use cast iron pans when camping. I'd love to get into it though.... but DH is the cook in the fam so it would really take him buying into the idea. I tried to get him into it a couple years ago but he didn't show much interest.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
When camping we use a Coleman grill or cook right on the fire depending on what's being cooked. When backpacking I have a Pocket Rocket stove and small cook set I use.

OutdoorsGirl

My DH is in love with a cast iron dutch oven at Lee Valley Tools. He has told me that he wants it for Christmas so we have it to use next camping season.

Bruen

I'm a rough it kind of guy, but I can cook some great meals in my dutch oven. In fact, I built a make shift rack that folds up and I set it right on top of it over the open fire. It's like a camper's crock pot!

Lizardqing

A Dutch Oven is the one piece of gear that I am really wanting to get again. I can't think of much that you can't cook with one and that we have not. What else can you use to bake cakes, simmer stews, fry up donuts, flip the lid over and cook a breakfast of pancakes, eggs and bacon all with one piece of gear?

For now though it is just a grill over the campfire and a Coleman stove unless it is a weekend somewhere with the Scouts.

campmaster

Hi Everyone,

I'm of big fan of all. Campfires, Grills and Dutch Ovens.

I like small contraption backpack stoves. If it produces fire I want one, but Dutch Ovens for camping is my specialty.

With a Dutch Oven, you can cook anything that you would cook at home. It can be used in many ways. Boiling, Frying, Baking, etc.

Thx,
Dan

dinosaur

troublemaker
I have a Dutch Oven and the last time I checked, you have to have a fire to use one. You build a fire, let it burn down to coals, then put the oven on the coals, using a shovel to put some coals on top to make the oven work.

What the hell are you people talking about?

faye

I prefer to grill. If we're impatient to grill our meat, we'll just skew our meat on a stick and build a camp fire to cook on it.