Dying hair

JimBob

Anybody have any experience with dying their hair? I'm 33, but I'm really getting a lot of gray hairs on top and I'd like to try something to see if I can prolong it being visible. I don't know anything about it and my first question is about safety. Does dying damage your scalp in anyway from chemicals? Also doesn't it pretty much rinse out after the first shower?

firedancer

It shouldn't damage your scalp, but most box dyes will tell you to test it first to make sure you don't have a reaction. They also won't wash out after the first shower - generally, it's the outgrowth (roots)that causes you to dye it again.

But really, gray hair looks way better than a bad dye job on a man.

rockytibby

Why not go to a salon and have a professional dye your hair? I have my hair bleached platinum blonde and go in every 6 weeks. I get lot of compliments on my hair, I would never atempt to dye my own hair. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Lamebeaver

A guy I work with used to dye his....until he developed an allergy to the chemicals in the dye. Same chemical is used in newsprint and photographic deveoping.

outwest

Going to a salon would be the best bet other than doing a test strain to see how the dye will work for your hair type. I know a few people who can DIY without any issue but I also know a lady who managed to end up with orange hair before.

Pathfinder1

I usually don't trek very far,
when all around grey hairs are.

Hi...

I'm sure that the occassional grey hair is something every camper is concerned with.

Egad...suppose another camper got close enough to notice? Wow! What would we do? Where could we hide? Could we ever explain it? Could they be plucked like your eyebrows?

But, do not fear...'cause it is time for Mr. Bandana. Mr. Bandana can conceal so many of life's embarassing moments...from zits to eye patches. From the rope burns on your neck to chapped lips. And, they come in so many interesting colors and patterns...even gray.

JimBob

Thanks for the replies. Pathfinder, I'm past the point of just a few. It is a lot now. I have a 28 year old girlfriend and she tells me to leave them alone and that she loves my hair, but still, I was thinking I'd like my hair to all be the same color again. It actually looks better when I have my hair with gel and done right. It seems to conceal pretty good.

Rain

Whatever you do just make sure you match it to your natural color or everyone will notice. If you go with your natural color, people will not notice as much. If you can't decide between two colors, go with the lighter one.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I love some of these replies, but I must say that a site called Outdoor Basecamp is not where I would expect to find advice on dying one's hair.

Teeth and hair are two things I am not terribly concerned about losing or having them change color. I take care of what I have and have always figured that if they go bad, I can buy more.

oldsarge

I love some of these replies, but I must say that a site called Outdoor Basecamp is not where I would expect to find advice on dying one's hair.

Teeth and hair are two things I am not terribly concerned about losing or having them change color. I take care of what I have and have always figured that if they go bad, I can buy more.
So what's your take on nail care? Do you use any thing to help prevent chipping or cracking? Later we can discuss proper eyebrow plucking technique!

Pathfinder1

Thanks for the replies. Pathfinder, I'm past the point of just a few. It is a lot now. I have a 28 year old girlfriend and she tells me to leave them alone and that she loves my hair, but still, I was thinking I'd like my hair to all be the same color again.

Hi...

I have lots of grey throughout my hair...particularly noticeable on the barber shop floor after a haircut...!!

However, if my girlfriend told me she likes it like that, I would probably listen to her. Many people...especially the ladies...seem to feel that it makes a man look more "distinguished".

Judy Ann

Darn that old double standard and can someone please tell me why the males of any species naturally look their best? Rhetorical question I know!

Let me reword this question please, what happens to the females in a species that mates for life and the male dies or is killed off young? I don't believe that I have read any studies on this one.

Last edited:

catspa

Because it matters less to us. Males will settle for any look above downright disgusting, so there's less profit in offering to improve our picture.

Parker