Ear pressure

Reese

I have wanted to learn to scuba dive for a long time. As I get older though, I find it more difficult to even dive to the bottom of the deep end because my ears hurt. Would I even be able to handle the depths that scuba diving requires?

Wild Bill

It sounds like you have an inner ear problem. If that is the case then you won't be able to scuba dive.

Try taking a really deep breath before you dive into the deep end and when you feel the pressure build up hold your nose and blow out through your ears. If that doesn't work take small exhales underwater, this should relieve some of the pressure.

If that doesn't work you may need to go and see a doctor.

Dodger

Some people have very sensitive ear drums and can't tolerate pressure much at all. My issue is from very long ago when I was just a boy. We were swimming and my ear drum was busted.

Gopher

Ouch that sounds painful! I don't have ear trouble but I can't stand getting my face in water. I don't know why but I just can't seem to duck my head so I've never even tried snorkeling.

Reese

Some people have very sensitive ear drums and can't tolerate pressure much at all. My issue is from very long ago when I was just a boy. We were swimming and my ear drum was busted.
Ouch! I never had a problem with it as a child. I've tried to relieve the pressure by holding my nose and blowing, but it doesn't seem to help.

Dodger

Yes, OUCH was about right! My friend came along side me and slapped the water right next to my head thinking it would scare me. I have poor hearing as a result in that ear!