Easiet Way To Catch Food?

Walking Man

What would be the easiest way to catch food when you are lost in the woods? I was thinking of wilderness survival and just thought about this. Do snares work better or dug traps or what? What do you think?

Trekker

I think it all depends on what you have with you at the time; if you've got a gun or if you are near a lake or river then catching food is going to be a lot easier than if you've only got a canteen of water and a first aid kit.

Bushman

Really it depends on what you are trying to catch. I'd try to use a snare on larger animal and dig a trap for smaller animals like rabbits.

You need to find out what kind of animals you have in the area before you set up a trap of any kind.

3ofusnow

Just like Bushman said it's all about what it is your trying to catch. You can always go Bear Grylls style and throw a stick at your prey!

lovelife

I have to agree. If you are stranded in the woods without any supplies, then I would opt for eating berries for food. If you are a hunter, then use your bow or gun. It also depends on if you want to set traps.

Topaz

Hunting a large animal can take some time and energy, but gathering wild edibles take less energy. Snares are easy enough, but take time and you'll need plenty of them to actually catch something.

GPER

Tom Brown jr. has some great survival books. They will tell you about building debree huts, snares, dead falls, and all kinds of stuff.

Dreamer

I would think traps would work better but if I were lost in the wilderness I don't think I could do this. I would have to live off plants and berries and such.

woodzman

I think it all depends on what you have with you at the time; if you've got a gun or if you are near a lake or river then catching food is going to be a lot easier than if you've only got a canteen of water and a first aid kit.
I agree. I keep a small container in my pack with a coil of fishing line, hooks, sinkers, a couple pan fish flies and a few small snares in it. I've never had any real need for it, other than catching a few trout now and then when I didn't have a fishing pole with me, but It's nice knowing It's there.

HappyFeet

We must be well prepared when we want to experience wilderness survival. Don't be like the person in the movie "Into The Wild" because we might get stranded in the wilderness without proper knowledge on how to survive there.

The easiest way to get food is to forage food from plants. We should know the edible plants from the poisonous ones before we set out into the wilderness.

southerngal

That's an awesome movie Happy Feet! We have been looking into some premade snares to put in our back packs you just never know.

Pathfinder1

I usually don't trek very far,
when all around me black bears are.

I always carry three commercially made small game snares in my BOB. I also have the means of making a slingshot and deadfalls.

Soon I will be expermenting with bolas.

Lamebeaver

Priority #1 - don't get lost
Priority #2 - get found
Priority #2 - stay warm
Priority #4 - keep hydrated
hunting for food is so far down the list I wound't even bother with it.

Grandpa

Priority #1 - don't get lost
Priority #2 - get found
Priority #2 - stay warm
Priority #4 - keep hydrated
hunting for food is so far down the list I wound't even bother with it.
Amen And if that response is not long enough I'll say it again.

AMEN

I have even thought of having a helicopter dump me off in the middle of the Frank Church with no food, just so I could live off the "fat of the land" so I could shed a few or 20 pounds walking out. :humble: