Everything was great until.....

Yogi

Last year we were in a full camp ground, and everything was great until.....a few campsites over from us they decided to try to light a fire with damp, green wood. Smoke city! How would you handle this?

John13np

Walk over casually and be friendly, start a conversation. If they're new at camping I'd offer some tips.

striker

Being violent usually get's you in trouble, that is if you leave any witnesses... :)
I'd do what John said and try suggesting that they use some dry wood, or otherwise take there smoke signal a little further.

Chippin

Yeah, there's nothing wrong in giving friendly advice to new campers but you mind find some stubborn types. There are campers, and then there are those that think they are campers. On a typical campground, I tend to find plenty of both types.

ChadTower

Last year we were in a full camp ground, and everything was great until.....a few campsites over from us they decided to try to light a fire with damp, green wood. Smoke city! How would you handle this?

In MA state parks you cannot bring firewood in from outside the campground. If you want a fire you have to buy it from the camp office. It's pretty common for their bundles to be less than suitable for immediate use but there isn't a lot you can do about it.

Bambi

I can see how just plain aggravating that could be, and how it might not put you in the most friendly frame of mind. I think I would have approached the campground host. It IS a bit of health hazard to be breathing that stuff.

Joe S.

I think I would chop them a nice pile of dry wood, walk over and chit-chat about how tough it can be to find good dry wood, then just give the pile to them and tell them to enjoy it, that I had extra. They'd figure it out from there.