Favorite thing about camping?

woodsman

I'm sure everyone of you has something that makes camping special for them in an unique way, so what is it?
For me it's probably about the adventure, I love being out there exploring and just having fun, I have been like that all my life.

Michael

I like getting away from things. No computers, no televisions, no non-emergency phone calls. Just me and my gear, in the relative quiet of the woods.

Bobby

I like pretending I'm in the prehistoric times - trying to track a rabbit and bring it down with my sling, foraging for edible plants, starting my fire with a bow drill. Really makes me appreciate modern conveniences when I get home.

Captain

Campfires and talking around them at night. That is my favorite part of camping. I love to camp and I love to hike but I also love the peacefulness at night sitting around the campfire.

Thumper

I love the freeness of it. The feeling that you are free to do anything you please (within reason guys) and can handle yourself well in any situation.

puddle jumper

This was the first summer where we actually went camping. I would have to say what I liked most was just slowing down for a few days. not having to rush off anywhere, or having a checklist of things we needed to do. Waking up and saying what do you want to do today was a great feeling.

crosscountry

I like that you don't have to keep track of time and can just enjoy life for a few days with no deadlines, phone calls, or meetings. You can just kind of go with the flow and live life!

JDSport

I love the relaxed atmosphere! And to enjoy the time with my family. We all go camping together a couple times a year including my sisters and their families, along with my parents.

Jade

For me, it's an anticipatory thing: it's the smell of woodsmoke clinging to the tent when I pull it from storage to air it out for use. It really gets me looking forward to being out in the boonies again.

IndianaHiker

Primative Life

I like getting away from things. No computers, no televisions, no non-emergency phone calls. Just me and my gear, in the relative quiet of the woods.
I agree with what Michael says and would go even a little further. MY favorite part is the living deliberately. By this I mean getting back to a more primitive life. The only worries are the basic needs. Food, Water, Warmth, Shelter. Being out in the back country you can forget about anything past that. Its very simple life.

This time also allows me time to stop the chatter we all have in our heads and to get a better grip on what really matters. Being out like that to me is where I feel connected to the Universe more so than I ever left in any church.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
~Henry David Thoreau~