Fear of Horses

YogiBear

I love to ride horses but my husband is terrified of them. When he was younger he got bit, kicked and hurt by his uncle's horses. Then about two years ago he flipped his truck trying to avoid hitting a horse on his way to work, so no more horseback riding for me. Do you know anyone who has a fear of horses?

dinosaur

troublemaker
No. But at least your husband doesn't sound like he has a phobia. That one is called equinophobia and is defined as an unnatural fear of horses. Your husband seems to have justifiable reasons.

Sometimes a particular person just doesn't mix well with something. A long time ago I had a friend who didn't mix well with knives. My little brother doesn't mix with electricity( He uses it. He just can't seem to work with it without getting zapped.).

I'm sorry for your husband's mishaps but from the sound of it maybe it would be a good idea for him to stay clear.

CatsEye

After what happened I really don't blame him. I'd stay away from them too. Not long ago one of our Amish citizens, a woman who was seven months pregnant, was driving with her two young sons and the horse ran away with them after being frightened. They plunged down a bank and she was impaled by a fence post killing both her and the baby. It was a community tragedy and we have all grieved in our own way. I'm sure the boys are going to have a hard time with the horses after that.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Thank you Catseye, for an incredibly grizzly story. I've seen this kind of thing before and it never gets any easier. Ugly things happen but it's not the horse's fault. Horses are incredibly stupid but they are creatures of habits learned.

I was out one night at a local watering hole and got just a bit plastered. Luckily, I rode a horse to get there. She was sober when I strapped a case of beer to my saddle and mounted. I was strolling the horse down a deserted country road when the police pulled me over. The young officer told me I was drunk and disorderly and a menace to traffic. The only traffic I could see was my horse and a rookie cop with a need to make an arrest. I told him he could kiss my butt. I took off through a field headed for a woods, slowed the horse down when I got there and walked that girl through a half mile of timber. I never saw that cop again. But as I've always believed, not all cops are good guys. Some have just been given a small amount of authority and are willing to abuse it.

BCBabe

HAHAHAHA - omgosh, dinosaur, I've family I can tell tales like that about - you'd fit right in with that crowd!

I was snapped at by one of our horses, and it scared me goofy. My chores included those animals, I had to teach that animal not to do that.

And I did.

I took the biggest russet potato I could find, and boiled it, skin-on. I wrapped my left bicep over in flannel a few layers thick, put the potato atop that, and another layer of guaze to hold the spud in place. I put my mack on, and went out to the barn... and baited the horse.

Sure as the dickens, he bit... right into that boiled potato.

I had to make and feed him a special mash for a few days, my granddad was something angry. In later years I heard him laughing about it, though, and well, I don't think that horse bit any of us again.

campclose

Yes I know some people that are afraid of them and for the same reason. A good friend was thrown off a horse when she was a child and she won't go near them now. I think it's something you have to make yourself do, get tossed off get back on.

BCBabe

There's wisdom to the old adage about getting back on a horse that's thrown you: there was only one time that didn't happen, in my case, and it's because I'd done myself an injury when the animal went berzerk and had slammed "personal bits"-first onto the saddle horn of a western saddle.

I didn't ride (or wear jeans) for a week over that one.