Firestarter

Gondor

Have you ever used those Firestarters to start a fire by creating hot sparks? I'm thinking of buying one to replace waterproof matches in my camping kit. Any opinions?

Last edited:

woodzman

I carried a magnesium fire starter for quite a while as a back up , but switched to the Light My fire FireSteel last year. With a little practice, you can light a fire as fast as you can with a match. I carry it for emergencies and use a bic lighter most of the time, but It's nice knowing It's there if I need it. The one I bought came with a painted surface, probably for safety reasons in shipping, that needs to be removed before use. A piece of fine sand paper took it right off.

Last edited:

Topaz

I've used them before, they work pretty well if you carry the right tinder with it. The Light My Fire Firesteels are great, either of the three sizes they have. More reliable and longer lasting than matches, though not as easy to use. At Survival Outdoor Skills (fire_making_at_survivaloutdoorskills.com) they have really good advice on making fire with a Magnesium Firestarter, aswell as some other fire starting choices. But it's always good to have choices/backups, so carrying a lighter and a firesteel is best. Hope this helps!

2coastcamper

I carried a magnesium fire starter for quite a while as a back up , but switched to the Light My fire FireSteel last year. With a little practice, you can light a fire as fast as you can with a match. I carry it for emergencies and use a bic lighter most of the time, but It's nice knowing It's there if I need it. The one I bought came with a painted surface, probably for safety reasons in shipping, that needs to be removed before use. A piece of fine sand paper took it right off.
Same one I use ... love it!

Newanderthal

Bic lighter. And another. And another. I think I keep about 5 scattered around my pack. Even if they get wet, they'll work if you shake the water out and let it dry for about a minute.

Also, learn how to build a fire with only one match. Know how to gather dry grass and shave wood. Prepare your fuel before you attempt to light it. If you can get it going with only one match, then you're in good shape.

Gondor

Thanks guys for the advice, I'm sure it will come in handy sometimes. I also carry zippo lighter with me all the time. But I thought this would be a nice addition to the pack.

southerngal

I have a lighter, waterproof matches, wind proof matches and a flint in both of our backpacks. Maybe a little over the top but if I can't do anything else in the wildernes we WILL have fire.

Barney

I have a lighter, waterproof matches, wind proof matches and a flint in both of our backpacks. Maybe a little over the top but if I can't do anything else in the wildernes we WILL have fire.
I'm also a fire making maniac. I carry many of those gadgets. But I use FireSteel.com firestarter. It works excellent! Even when I can use matches or a lighter I prefer a firesteel. :D