Fish Gigging?

Gabbie

Any one here ever done any fish gigging before? We use to do a lot of it but not so much any more although we have been thinking about it lately. You can still gig Sheepshead and mullet plus Flounder and a few other species.

LivingToCamp

This does sound interesting. I am guessing that you have a long pole with a large gig on the end of it? Just how hard is it to do this and is in done only in saltwater?

KatieMarie

Oh yes, we used to do this a lot several years ago. It was really fun but you had to try and make sure it was a calm night so the water was nice and slick. The better to see the fish. We have a lot of new regulations now and can't gig some that you used to be able and we just sort of got out of it.

AlphaMale

I gig for bullfrogs. They make wonderful fried frog legs. Yum. I haven't tried fish gigging though. We did, however, try shooting them with a bow and arrow when we were having a....ahem.....gathering of good old boys, but the boys weren't too good at their aim at that point.

hummingbird

We've gigged for bullfrogs too. We have a pond that is full of them. I fix them but I'm not really fond of the taste, but I fix them for my husband.

CatsEye

Sounds like an interesting gathering, AlphaMale. I haven't tried to gig fish but I have also done bullfrogs. We used to have some pretty nice sized bullfrogs on our land, but the pond was raided by the locals even though it's out of the way and my bullfrog population dropped accordingly. I have since posted it "No Trespassing" but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

rayne

KatieMarie, you are right. The water has to be pretty calm in order to go gigging. We used to go flounder gigging all the time and came back with nice catches. My brother has actually gone with only an intertube, a flashlight and a gig. I think AlphMale's way could get dangerous maybe. Ha, Ha!