Fishing Knots?

Woods

I never was much of a fisherman and I never learned knots these discipline requires? How many of them is really needed and useful and how hard is to learn them?

Barney

I don't know a lot of fishing knots but what I do know that many "experts" advise that knowing 100 knots is useful. I think it's all baloney. As with every other application with just a few knots you can do almost everything.

wvbreamfisherman

Improved clinch knot is handy for tyring lures to the line. Surgeon's knot for joining lines, nail knot for joining fly line to leader. Palomar knot is another handy one. There are actually lots of handy knots. Go online and find some guides and just sit down some cold winter evening and play around.

When I was taking my firefighting courses, I had to learn about a dozen knots, and since then I've gotten interested enough in ropework to learn a few more that are handy for camping and rigging. Slipcing ropes in kind of fun too- like working a puzzle.

oldmangunner

I think I use 6 main knots. Now, for years I got away with using just 2 different knots and it was fine. Eventually, I took my knot tying to a new level and I don't regret spending the time learning how to do it.