Fishing on Private Ponds

wildberry

I haven't been fishing for a number of years, and plan to do some this fall. My dad and I usually fished on private ponds, though we did visit the local lakes at times.

What I can't remember is, do you need a license/permit on private ponds and lakes? Or does the answer depend on what state you are on? I know I need permission from the owner(s) which I already have, but I know that the park rangers look everywhere! :tinysmile_twink_t2: I have been checked SEVERAL times in the past.

lovetohunt

I don't think you need any license for fishing on someone's private pond. I would not think so anyway. I would still get my license though if you are planning on fishing anywhere else.

SallyA

I'm almost sure you don't need a license in Kentucky or Indiana to fish at a pond on private property. I'm not sure who you would need to call to find out for sure. Would it be the Fish and Wildlife Department if there is one?

DThewanderer

It depends on the state. But in most places if you have permission of the land owner then you do not have to have a permit. Check your local laws though.

greengrass

I know we never worry about a license if we are only going to fish at a private, secluded pond. But that might be just our area and state. I'd check to make sure.