Flash Floods

Camoguy

You know, we were discussing weather on another thread here and I was thinking about flash floods. Do you always chose your campsite with the possibility of flash floods and other weather related problems in mind? I vaguely remember an incident where campers were lost due to flash flooding but I can't remember the whole story.

Grandpa

I ALWAYS check the drainage from my tent. It really becomes critical in the sandstone country of S. Utah and N Az. A thunder storm 50 miles away can come crashing down waves though the canyon even as the sun or stars are shining overhead. The last time I was in the Grand Gulch primitive area, we had a great trip. A week later, a guy died in his sleeping bag when a flash flood came through. Despite warnings, people think that nice sand in the bottom of the canyon would make a good comfortable bed. After all, not a cloud in the sky. Meanwhile, fifty miles away, a thunderstorm passes over, the rains hit the slickrock and a 1/4 inch of rain over 50 sq miles come crashing through your bedroom.

T

tentrus

Well I don't ever check to see what site I'm going to get and if the site could get flooded. I did learn once though that when it really pours your tent should not be at the bottom of a hill. I really need to pay more attention to the sites and then pick.

oldsarge

I've seen flash floods in the desert that would bury a tracked vehicle half way up the road wheels. It was absolutely amazing how fast it came in and the amount of damage it did. After that, no one slept on the ground anywhere near the vehicle.

outwest

Weather freaks me out! I hate the idea of planning out a trip only to find the weatherman took the day off or is out of his mind. We have had two trips ruined due to nasty rain fall, almost like we could have went to a falls and it would have been a light drizzle compared to what we dealt with.

Camoguy

I ALWAYS take drainage and location into consideration when I camp. It's vital to safety to consider all of the facts before you make camp. Bears and wild animals aren't the only thing that could disrupt your vaca or kill you. Please be careful when you're out there.

greentea

Well I'm usually smart enough to not sleep near a river during spring and the bottom of a canyon is usually a no go zone for the night also. It kind of makes sense, since the canyon wasn't formed because of wind.

Barney

Well, I live and hike/camp in the neighborhood where flash floods are not possible. That said, we don't care much for them but it's better to be prepared and always check the site.

freedommachine

I am very paranoid of flash floods. I always look around at all things before choosing where to camp. Not only camping but if you were to cross a stream hiking and come back the stream might be to high to cross again and be stuck on the wrong side.