Fold Up Shovel-What Brand?

Camoguy

I have an old fold up Army shovel that I thought would last forever. Guess what....it didn't. It just broke in half last weekend. Now I'm in the market for another fold up shovel to take camping and hiking with me. Anyone have any suggestions?

Michael

I use a little folding Coleman shovel. It's basically a garden trowel that folds up to the size of my hand. It's very light weight and amazingly sturdy for its size.

Then again, all I use it for is fire pits and latrines. It's probably not your best choice if you plan to do anything heavy duty.

I think that they're on clearance on the Coleman site for very little.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Although I like Michael's idea because the shovel is small and smaller is better when backpacking, Camoguy might not be talking about backpacking. If so, there are lots of army surplus stores and online vendors.

Gondor

Coleman is nice and you also get a pick in the same package - neat. Also, there is Lifeline's sport utility shovel which works great. It expands to a pretty big shovel when you need it.

WalkingMan

I'm going to have to go look for one too. I have never had a fold up shovel to take and usually borrow my brother in law's unless he is using it and if he's using it, he's usually with me. :)

RoyalAmbassador

Working Camper
Camoguy you can't beat Army Surplus. We put those shovel through the test digging many foxholes, firepits, even beating in tent stakes. If you look around you can find one of the Swiss or German units they have a longer handle and some with a pick end.

oldsarge

I really like my old E-tool, it has been through some really rough times and still hangs in there. They are not indestructible be really close. Yes they are heavy and bulky but I can get a lot done with one of those. Years ago I picked up a folding survival shovel, It was made by Junglee,

http://www.buffalogapoutfitters.com/storefrontprofiles/processfeed.aspx?sfid=110172&i=239433851&mpid=7349&dfid=1

The shovel held up OK, eventually I had to do some welding to it were it started to crack. I think I was working it too hard. the best part was the combo knife and saw blade. The saw was like the ones on the Swiss Army Knives. It worked great.

calanta

I like the little Tri-Fold Shovels and if you are lucky with the place having some in stock, you can find bunches of them with different drop shippers online. I know some places have a funny wait list/ship list but you can most times call up to check before ordering to avoid a delay if you are in a rush.

Camoguy

Thanks guys! I have to consider what I see with a mind to what I want to do with it. Then I'll buy. Right now, I'm borrowing one from my neighbor if they aren't camping or backpacking the weekend I am. I hate being without that shovel. It, and I, have gone a lot of miles together and done a lot of digging.