Food on Long Camping Trips

HikerChick

Ever go on a long camping trip and get tired of the same food again and again that you're left with in the end? Can you prevent this, or is that just one of the characteristics of "roughing it" to you?

campershell

It could be boring at times, having the same type of food for several meals. There could be a variety in recipes, but the main ingredients are still the same...

Jade

Hit up one of the veteran surplus stores, or an outdoors store: they sell dehydrated food.

Sold in foil packages, they're often complete meals, like stews: all you need to do is add (clean) water. "IMPs" and "IRPs" (individual meal packs, individual ration packs) came about in the military, and are now "mainstream" and available in the larger outdoor stores.

Tony

The link that refrigerator posted is really good. I like the dried fruits and vegetables because they are light to carry and I think they still have the same nutrients as those that are fresh.

Anyhow, I'm not a picky eater and I don't mind eating the same food over and over again when I'm on a long camp. This will make my appetite better when I'm home already, as long as the food that is served at home is not the same as the food I ate at the camp.

Jade

I have a friend help me make jerky sometimes.

One of the best batches we ever came up with was a venison smokehouse type that was really popular. We just couldn't replicate the spicing, for whatever reason, in any other batch we made.

HikerChick

Thanks for the link, Refrigerator! I'm a fan of beef jerky as well, Jade, especially if I have what I need to make it myself. :) I appreciate all of the suggestions, guys, and will be seeing what works on my next trip.

hikinmike

Good suggestions posted here. I also like those instant oatmeal packages. Just a little boiled water and there's a quick breakfast. Also like to forage...put in whatever berries are available per season (carry dried fruit in case of hunter/gatherer fail).

Lorax

By experimenting between trips, dehydrating your own stuff and constant tweaking of recipes/systems, you could have a backlog of recipes to use in any situation. Meal planning is as important a part of trip planning as destination and miles.