Food to perpare

trek

I am little confused on what kind of food i can prepare for a camp?
Also give some good list of foods that you prepare while camping?
Which is the easiest to cook? and also tastiest

Thank you

cnacowboy

it depends on that type of camping you do i like to backpack so i will buy a few mres or dehidrated foods but i also like to to make my own there are resipes for precookiing your food on the net and in some books id check your sportsmans store and a book store
but i will tell ya one of my favorate dishs is steak of the first night and a bakes potato and onions so what i do is prebake the potato till its about 1/2 done and cut my veggies or what ever i want with it and put my steak in the freezer . when i go out the first night take everything and wrap inn aluiem foil and lay on the coils rotate every few minutes takes about 20 min and you got a good tasting meal

vinny

it depends on you which food do you like more but i prefer food for camping is ready made food you just need to cook it that's it. i was cooked during the camping but i am tired with that so i always take some ready food with me.

fbird

like cnacowboy said it depends on the type of camping.a weekend or longer at one spot you can haveabout anything you want, that's what a cooler is for. backpacking or kayak or bike tour you'll probably have dehydrated food, stuff thats easy to cook and won't spoil.

SQuirrel

Stove Top Stuffing. Mix in some Tuna and you got a casarole. Instant oatmeal/ grits for you country boys. Also, get yourself a big ol Tri Tip, and put it on a stick above the fire. Slow roast that bad boy for at least half an hour, and oh my.

I work in the retail side of camping, and I will be the first to tell you, dehydrated 'backpackers food' just aint worth it. It costs to much and doesn't taste good.

Bring along breads cheeses fruits (dried or otherwise) and beef jerky, and you will not need a stove.

Oh and for that oatmeal, soak a box of raisins in Rum or Brandy just before you go to bed. When you wake up in the morning throw them in your cinamon and brown sugar oatmeal . It's the little things in life that make good.

Long Distance backpackers rely on Tortillas and Bagels becouse they are dense. Cheese wont go bad quickly, and Nutella and Peanut Butter have a ton of calories.

m1dz0r

Ingredients:

corn on the cob
mayonnaise
seasoned salt

Preparation:

When you have cooked your corn on the cob the way you like, spread some real mayonnaise on your corn and then sprinkle with some seasoned salt. You will never put butter on your corn again.

m1dz0r

Ingredients:

1 steak per person, cut of your choice
pinch lemon pepper
pinch garlic
pinch black pepper
Preparation:

With a very hot bed of coals (no or very little flame), lay your seasoned steaks on the grill. Let it cook until the bottom is almost golden, turn, and do the same to the other side. Watch your steak, don't burn it. The trick is to not salt before cooking because this draws moisture to the surface. A dry steak is not good. Turn as many times as necessary to keep from burning until done to your taste. By cooking the outside fast, the juice is sealed in. By turning, you keep from burning the outside until the meat is done to your taste. Oh so good. Enjoy.

m1dz0r

This one is for the vegetarians.

Ingredients:

1 potato
1/2 medium onion, sliced
1 teaspoon butter
Preparation:

Slice potato and add un-cooked onion slices between the potato slices. Lay butter on top so that it may melt over the potato. Wrap in aluminum foil and lay in a good bed of coals or around the edge of the campfire, but not too far away. Rotate every so often. Cook for about 7-10 minutes or longer, if needed.

Thomas

Mustard Glazed Corned Beef

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1 (5 1/2 pound) corned beef brisket
2 tablespoons pickling spice
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard, or to taste
Add to Recipe Box
My folders:

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Place the corned beef brisket into a Dutch oven, and season with pickling spice. Fill with enough water to cover the roast, and place the lid on.
Bake for 2 1/2 hours in the preheated oven. Then, remove it from the Dutch oven and place on a broiler pan. Preheat the oven's broiler.
While the meat is roasting, mix together the corn syrup and mustard in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, and cook over medium heat until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
Spread the mustard glaze over the roast, and broil for 5 to 7 minutes, until the glaze is shiny.

shaan

I second the couscous, we took some on our last camping trip and it was a breeze to cook, so easy and tasty, and a nice change from usual camping fare, i.e. burgers and hot dogs.

henry

Can anyone give me the recipe for the preparation and corn and mushroom soup. It would be so helpful for me in the next campaign.

steven

the Chicken One-Pot recipe:
take 4-6 large pieces of boneless, skinless chicken breast,
pour in 2 cans of cream of chicken soup (with 2 cans of water),
cut up large pieces of potatoes, carrots, celery, onions (or small whole onions),
salt, pepper and any other seasoning you like.
Bring to a boil and let simmer for a couple of hours, until the potatoes are soft.
Once the smell starts to float through the campground, the kids will start coming around looking for food!

richy

BREAKFAST EGGS

6 eggs
3 tablespoons cream
1 tablespoon butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Put butter in a hot baking-dish. After breaking the eggs one at a time in a saucer, slip carefully into the hot baking-dish. Add the cream and sprinkle salt and pepper over them. Cook 5 minutes and serve hot in the baking-dish.

tpk

Angry Red Lentil Tortilla Soup
Ingredients

* 2 (6-inch) flour tortillas
* 4 tablespoons olive oil
* 1/4 cup minced onion
* 1/4 cup minced carrot
* 1 clove minced garlic
* 1/2 habanero pepper, minced
* 1/2 cup red lentils
* 2 cups water
* Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 2 tablespoons dry chives, for garnish
* 6 tablespoons grated Manchego cheese, for garnish
* 2 lime wedges, for garnish

anand

CAMPING CASSEROLE

1 lb. ground beef
8 or 10 oz. dry noodles
1 qt. tomato juice
1 can mushroom stems and pieces
Cheese

Brown ground beef in large skillet or Dutch oven (season to taste). Add dry noodles.
Cover with tomato juice (the amount can be varied to cover all the noodles). Add mushrooms. Cover and simmer for approximately 20 minutes. Top with your favorite cheese and let set for a few minutes.

This is an excellent camping main dish as it takes only one pan and can easily be prepared on a camp stove.