Gloves versus handwarmers

Grandpa

While backpacking in the high rockies, some nights get downright chilly. Rather than carrying a heavier sleeping bag all summer just in case of one of those chilly nights, I carry a few of these in my pack and a couple in my sleeping bag warms it right up. I always have a few in my pack when hunting in the fall. For me, it is not a case of gloves vs warmers, they both have their place.

ponderosa

Yep, I get cold very easily. I always carry warm gloves, hat, socks, and handwarmers. I usually wear two pairs of clean socks to bed, with handwarmers tucked between sock layers. It makes all the difference for me.

rockin

I use both too, good gloves and hand warmers. Heck I even take hand warmers to the local high school football games. When you are just sitting there your fingers and toes get cold.

Gentle Ben 1957

Both! I've been on lakes during the winter, put the hand warmers in pockets of my pants and shirt, then a rain coat to keep the heat in. Not toasty, but tolerable. These were bought at the check out counter of a big sporting good store. CHEAP!!! They lasted an honest 8 hours. But, don't ditch your gloves.

outwest

I tried feet warmers long ago and gave up when they did not work. I never tried hand warmers and always stuck with gloves unless I was out making snowballs with the kids and then of course mittens are best.

Lamebeaver

If your hands and feet are cold, put on a hat. 35% of heat is lost via the head and neck. Your body compensates by reducing cirulation to the extremities (hands and feet). Even in a sleeping bag - put on a hat.

oldsarge

I've used both and feel they have there place when needed. Being diagnosed with Raynouds syndrome, my hand are greatly effected and I can use all the help I can get. Has anyone ever used electric soxs? Never had any luck with them myself. Those who I knew that tried them felt the same way.

DylanT

Hmmm. OK. Might get some and see if I use them. I always wear a hat. Always.

wvbreamfisherman

I have a thinsulate watch cap for blue cold weather, and a silk balaclava I use to sleep in when the temperature is very low. I like the way it covers my nose and mouth when I'm sleeping in a mummy bag.

3ofusnow

I use both myself, and I like the bigger ones you can put on your back or shoulders as well. Those are meant for injuries, but if you have to be out in the cold they are great.

Newanderthal

Handwarmers last several hours and you really have to keep them and your hands in your pockets to get full use. Gloves last several years and allow you to still use your hands while keeping them warm. Can't set up a tent with handwarmers. Buy some decent gloves.

catspa

I know the instructions tell you not to, but I work construction and when it gets close to freezing we slide handwarmers up inside the palm of our leather work gloves. Nobody I know has ever burned themselves from it, sometimes it just barely keeps your fingers warm.

My old search and rescue chief wanted everybody to wear gloves and then add glove liners when it got cold. Problem is, it's hard to find gloves big enough to fit liners in that are snug enough for good dexterity without the liners. So now the handwarmer inside the glove is standard M.O.

"Warning! It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with it's labelling..."

Parker

Joe S.

I like the wool gloves that leave your finger tips bare. As long as the majority of my hand is warm and I can function when I need dexterity, I seem to do fine.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Have you tried mittens... especially ones made for the type of weather you'll be in?

Mittens can keep your hands warmer than gloves, and will more easily accept disposable hand warming devices.

A favorite pair that I use have a flannel mitten insert, with a white outer leather mitten (for Arctic military use). These are great all-around performers.