Gps

tjhalliday

Looking at old threads, it appears that the vote for GPS is garmin. That is what we were leaning toward. We were looking at the GPSMAP 76. Any experience with there?

foxylady

I have a Garmin and I absolutely HATE it! It tells me streets dead end when they don't and also tells me roads go all the way through when they don't. I can't tell you how many times that thing has gotten me turned around or taken me way out of my way to get somewhere! I am thinking about trading it for a TomTom.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
In that price range I would expect to see a color display and not black and white. 8 MB of memory is pretty scant too.

I think you can do better.

I have a Magellan Triton 400 for around the same price point and it's a great unit. I have a 2 GB SD card in it and tons of space, with some pretty big topo maps loaded into it. Separate profiles for hiking, geocaching, and marine use and it supports several different map datums. I can also load-in and attach media files to my waypoints.

The Magellans are more difficult to get going out of the box, but once configured and updated, they hold their own with Garmin easily.

Sorry I don;t have information on the unit you posted, but it does seem outdated.

oldsarge

I used to be a Magellan user for many years, owned four different models and got my start with GPS's with them. I switched to Garmin primarily for their customer service. I had a real issue with Magellan several years back and was with out a GPS for 6 months. Nothing but a game of phone tag the whole way. Over all the Magellan's performed as well as any other GPS I've used. Geocachers don't like them because they say they are slow to acquire and navigate to a cache. I never had that issue and I have over 1600 finds. Of course I don't worship geocaching and commit my life to hunting junk. I prefer good mapping capabilities and navigating aids used in hiking.
I feel Garmin, Magellan and DeLorme is the way to go for a good field GPS. As far as Foxylady stated, street to street navigation needs to be updated. That can be a pain sometimes depending on what model you have. All my GPS's are hand held field types, no vehicle GPS for me. I loaded the City Navigator into my Colorado 300, it had just as detailed Topo map and street to street capabilities also.
Over all I think you will do great with one of the three I spoke of. My next GPS will be the DeLorme PN60. It's pricey but highly accurate and fast. I've seen several in the field and have been impressed with it. One more thing...What will you be doing with it, Street navigating, hiking trails, Geocaching? Some GPS's are geared more for one thing than another. My Garmin Colorado 300 serves many purposes, you may want to look into the newer Dakota or Oregon by Garmin.