Grove Lake near Kingston, Nevada

ppine

Forester
TR,
You have chosen the one popular place in the whole Toiyabe Range. It has some people in the summer and during the hunting season. I would suggest any place else and you will have it to yourself. Crowding is not a word normally associated with central Nevada. Look at an atlas and try a major drainage with no facilities.

ejdixon

Heard about the place but I've yet to also head over there myself. Thanks for opening up this thread TRegasaurus. Will definitely keep checking here for feedback and suggestions, too.

Grandpa

Nevada is another of those places that everyone drives right past not realizing how many great places there are. Just wish I had more time to investigate some of them.

ppine

Forester
Grandpa is right. Don't spread this idea around. The places with facilities don't supply much in the away of amenities. Get a good atlas, some water cans, and be self sufficient. Then you can go anywhere you like and not see anyone. The grandest mountain ranges are the 3 in central- Toiyabes, Taquimas and Monitors. The Rubys over south of Elko have Ruby Marsh and lots of wilderness. Some people like area around Ely which has lots of pinyon and juniper trees. Northern Elko County up by Jarbidge is like Baja Idaho.

Grandpa

Outside magazine had that Jarbridge, Owyhee country as one of the 30 most remote places in the world. I don't think it qualifies quite that high. I saw a couple of people there one week.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Now Kitchen Lakes in the Church or Upper Moose Creek in the Selway....Oh wait, they had the upper Selway Crags in that list of thirty as well. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Grandpa

I got a real chuckle one time reading some guys trail report from the Rubys. He had hiked four days without seeing a soul then ran into a six shooter packing cowboy and it really freaked him out. If I know western humor, I bet the cowboy didn't cut him any friendship slack when he saw how nervous the guy was. If the hiker had relaxed and invited the cowboy for a cup, he'd probably got a whole guide book full of free information as well as having a good new friend.