Have you been winter camping

Luvoutdoors

Have you been winter camping in a tent before? I haven't but I would like to as long as it isn't snowing blizzard conditions or anything.

Bruen

I prefer camping in the fall, as I find the weather most agreeable. I have camped in the winter, but it is not such a thrill for me.

GPER

My daughter and I have camped/ wheeled in Feb down in KY. I took a kerosene heater that kept her warm and roasted me. You will have to be aware of all of the safety issues if you do this.

Michael

I've only been winter camping once.

It turned out that the tent I borrowed wasn't waterproofed on the bottom. As a result, I woke up completely drenched in the middle of the night, the snow beneath me having melted and soaked through the tent, my pad, and my bag. That night was pretty much awful.

We had to build a huge fire in the morning so I could huddle by it and get my body heat back. I eventually stopped shivering after getting some hot food into me.

Next time, I'm going to be a liiiiiittle bit more careful.

Bumpkin

I'm with Bruen - fall camping is the best. Nice weather during the day and then chilly at night. It's great campfire weather and good sleeping weather. I don't think I'm daring enough to be out in the elements all night long in the dead of winter.

Adam

I like the fall too, but winter will suit me just fine. I like it better though when there's a lot of snow all around.

deb60

I have been camping in the winter too, we always get a cabin though. I won't try it in a tent (just too cold for me). We always get a cabin with a fire place. You can ski during the day and relax at night.

SallyA

There's no way I'd go camping in the winter unless I had a well-insulated cabin with good heat. Then, it wouldn't be camping, would it? I just don't like the cold! I'm with the others who said they like fall camping.

CFlyer

I've never been into a winter camping before because there is no snow where I live. I did experience some heavy rain when we camp one time. We didn't sleep the whole night because water seeped into the tent.

SmackontheWeb

I camp year-round. Tennessee winters aren't extreme, I'd guess an average winter temperature range of about 30-35 degrees here. So long as you have the proper gear, conditioning and skills, temperature shouldn't be that big an issue.

wildmonger

Old-not-bold member
Have I been winter camping? Winter is the absolute best time of the year for "easy camping". You don't need a tent usually, except for wet snow. The colder the better.
Most nights, the stars are bright, and you just flop your pad down on top of the snow virtually anywhere. the snow acts as a cushion, and molds to your body. The pad insulates you, and keeps you dry. It is absolutely critical to stay dry, especially with down sleeping bags. Never let any part of you touch the snow, or the warmth of your body heat will melt what it infringes upon, and slowly seep into your bedding.
In a storm, burrow into the snow. It is easy to mold a snow house, and there are infinite variations. For instance, during one bad snow storm in Maryland one January, eleven of us carved into a huge drift formed on the back of a hillside, and made one long hall which fit us all nicely for the night. Advantages: the snoring is absorbed by the snow. A candle throws off huge amounts of light. The temperature inside was fifty degrees warmer than outside the cave. For an instant shelf for food, stoves, etc. you just punch a hole into the wall - wherever. No rent. no wind. Quiet. And disadvantages: you have to crawl outside over everyone else to go pee - unless you're male. then you just drill a hole in the snow.
It's never too-o-o cold. You dress for it.
The Eskimos look forward to winter. It's much cleaner when there's no mud, and everything freezes into a solid.
I always long for the snow flakes to come, so I can go camping, usually on skies. But no one wants to come. How sad.

Newanderthal

In Louisiana it's too hot to camp any other time. In the winter, the mosquitoes aren't around and the air is nice. I love winter camping.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I've tent camped in temps down to -10F. The toughest part is getting in and out of the sleeping bag. You have to strip down to get in and then it takes a few minutes for the bag to heat up. Same problem in the morning. You have to get up and get dressed quickly. Of course, you don't have to do it the way I did. They now have some great little propane tent heaters that will keep your tent warm. My only advice here is to stay away from catylitic heaters.

Igloo Ed

The Eskimos look forward to winter. It's much cleaner when there's no mud, and everything freezes into a solid.
Indeed, everything is frozen and one can travel pretty much anywhere. A frozen swamp is welcomed as it is the easiest traveling possible, usually a strait line compared to going around wet areas and through trees in summer.
I prefer snowshelters over tents because I can get up in the morning in temperatures above freezing.
Once a person learns what should be a mantra, one just needs to learn to stay dry, winter camping is the absolute best.

woodstock

Michael, try to make sure you find or borrow a tent with a well seamed floor, and try and borrow or purchase a "Footprint" for the tent. You place the Footprint down first on the snow and then pitch you tent on top, helping to stop moisture from underneath. Remember when snow camping you need to insulate your self from below as well, your body heat will melt the snow below you and create the wetness you refer to. Perhaps an insulite pad as well between you and the tent floor may help as well. Good Luck

wildmonger

Old-not-bold member
Winter camping by far is the best type of camping. Ask any Eskimo.
1. Shelters are free and easy to make=igloo or quinsee.
2. no bugs, and no people
3. inside the igloo, you are protected from extreme cold, wind, noise, animals, meteors.
4. Snow is the most pliable, insulating, light-reflective, creative and pleasurable of shelters.
5. Usually, it's safe. To combat cold, throw on the blankets according to the termperature. Max: 2 cheap blankets over a cheap bag in the WORST cold outside.
Note: I have enough winter camping tales to fill a book.

Redlantern

I agree with what some of the others have said about camping in the winter. I've got a bit of experience with it myself. I find the most important thing is to stay dry. I'm not into down, doesn't keep you warm if (when) it gets wet. I don't care to use a tent unless there is a wet snow predicted. Even then, I'd rather just use a decent bivy sack.
I'm not a fan of snow shelters. Everything gets so damp in them. Building them gets me drenched. Not for me.
Keeping warm isn't that tough, good gear and high fat foods help.

va_hiker

Yeah, do it. Not sweating all day long and with the right gear and proper prep, you will be fine. Have camped out in a tent and sleeping bag in 9 degree weather and did just fine. Got to keep your water in pots so when it freezes, just put her on the stove to get your water back. My secret to a sound sleep is to fill your Nalgene with HOT water, but a sock on it and toss it in the bottom of your bag. Still warm in the morning.

woodsman

Well you can go winter camping in some areas and have a nice weather of 90 :). Yes I have been a few times and I find that with the right gear it can be quite a wonderful experience especially for those who can appreciate the ocean of snow that seems to envelop everything that you can see.