Heat or snow

peanut

Say you're dumped in the wild to survive a week on your own. Would you rather be somewhere in extreme heat or somewhere snowy and cold as heck?

northernbushape

The Jeepist
Well, I would have to go with snow. Being Canadian and having lived in areas right across the country, I am well accustomed to extremes in cold weather. I would have a better chance of surviving in those conditions then in say, a desert or very hot, dry climate where I have very little experience. It really depends on the resources available.

My first 2 concerns would be water and shelter. In the snow I can create shelter by simply digging and packing the snow. Not so much in a desert. Same thing for water - assuming I had a means of making fire, snow and ice can be melted down and drank. If I cannot make fire, then I can at least melt the snow and ice in my hands and get some moisture into me.

We have some areas here where it can get very hot and dry during the summer, but there is almost always clumps of trees or bush you can use to create shelter. Plunking me into the middle of the Arizona desert would be a very good test of my abilities to survive.

Hope it never happens :tinysmile_fatgrin_t.

peanut

Oh, good point about turning snow into water. It's harder to come up with water in the desert. I dislike cold weather so the idea of being in snow bothers me. lol

putbackthatsnook

heat, i don't do cold, i live in florida and rite now its about 100 everyday,
there are plenty of ways to find water in florida.
you can always stay in the shade to cool down,

failghe

I don't do well in cold... but heat, I need water and lots of it. I guess that I would pick the heat only because I am miserable when the temp drops below 70 degrees F. LOL.

oldsarge

Extreme heat wouldn't be a problem for me if it was in a tropical environment somewhere. I could get by, but in the desert, that's another story. If it were a toss up between the desert and some place snowy, I's go for the snow myself. I agree with Northernbushape!

Grandpa

I'm with the bushape and Sarge. Gotta have that water. Also, if I'm not good enough to survive, death by cold is much nicer. The pain only lasts so long, then a feeling of warmth begins. Most people who die of cold exposure have all ready started shedding their clothes when found.

Judy Ann

I'm with the bushape and Sarge. Gotta have that water. Also, if I'm not good enough to survive, death by cold is much nicer. The pain only lasts so long, then a feeling of warmth begins. Most people who die of cold exposure have all ready started shedding their clothes when found.
Snow, either way I'd be in deep poopoo.

Michael

I hate the heat. So I'd have to go with snow, as long as it's not like Antarctica.