Hiking With Dogs

Yogi

We have two big dogs that we love to hike with. The problem is that packing enough of their food for any kind of extended trek really adds to the weight of our packs. Suggestions?

Refrigerator

Easy answer to your problems..
I use Granite gear Dog Packs and also Ruff Wear packs. Both are High quality packs for your dog.

Ruff Rider Dog Pack

Ruff Wear Performance Dog Gear | Dog Harness | Dog Boots

My dogs first sight.....when I pull there packs off the rack..they know exactly what is going to happen...they react like children and get so excited. They want to be a part of the team and carry there load.

Grandpa

Same here refrigerator. I have to wait for the dog to be asleep to fill the zip locks with his dog food or he drives me crazy with his excitement. My lab can carry 5 day supply of dried dog food, a small blanket to insulate him from the ground at night, his boots for crossing sharp granite or lava, and the bottom of a gallon milk jug for a dish. He has been using a kelty size xl for the last 5 years, about 20 nights a year, and the pack is still going strong. The boots are relatively new to us. We got into a long upgrade on granite slag in the Frank Church a while back and his feet were so sore I had to lay over a day to let him heal, so now he carries or wears dog shoes.

Refrigerator

Yea Grandpa I hear ya about the dog boots. My Golden Retriever went with me to the Adirondacks in FEB 2008 and had a serious problem with snow balls on the pads. After that trip I went out and purchased him a set of Ruff Wear dog boots and they really do a great job. They even have a vibram lug sole and at first he was like a frozen 2 legged dog trying to balance himself..didn't take him long and he was running around as usual with no problem with snow. I also use them when I do long hauls more than a week out and what you mentioned about Granite or Lava is very hard on a dogs pads.

Rookie

Those are awesome ideas! I often joked about hitching up a dog sled so our dogs could bring along their own supplies, but never thought they actually could! I can hardly wait to try out this type of equipment.

Yogi

My mom gave me a gift certificate for outdoor gear. Can't wait to go dog pack shopping! She also gave us a camping gift basket she put together, and in it were two nylon folding dog bowls. Love the boots idea!

Hayley

I think Refrigerator hit the nail right on the head, obviously. There are definitely options that are lightweight and work. It's all a matter of learning about them and then finding what works.

Yogi

"Hiking With Dogs" by Linda B. Mullally is a book you would probably really enjoy. She lists Ruff Wear as a source for dog hiking gear.

Starling

My dog isn't too fond of wearing anything on her back. I did try to set her up with a dog pack, but she wanted nothing of it. Did you guys have to train your dogs to get used to the packs before they would willingly wear it? My girl's stubborn but it would be nice to have some extra space in my pack if I could get her to carry her own stuff!