Hitch-hikers

ramp

Do you usually pick up hitch-hikers from the street? I have mixed feelings about them. Many people said you will just risk yourself by helping them, but what if they are genuine and really need help?

Last edited:

Dreamer

I feel bad about it but under no circumstances will I pick up anyone or stop for anyone. I have heard too many horror stories about people getting robbed or even killed to do that.

Pebbles

No, I would never pick up a hitch-hiker. Maybe it's having watched to many late night movies or just all the horror stories on the evening news, but it's just too big of a risk these days to pick up someone I don't know.

Bradsalex

I pick up hitch-hikers when I'm back home in Maine. I trust people too much maybe but there is never a time when I don't have some sort of weapon on me. But mainly I've been there before, stuck in a jam, and had to walk. Usually I'll just stop and ask someone walking if they need a lift before picking up a scruffy looking person with his thumb in the wind.
I never do it when I have my wife or kids with me, and my wife gets mad about it every time I do it. I can sympathize with people, whether they ran out of gas (done it) or they lost their license (done it several times).

campgirl

Nope, never.... I would stop if it was a woman and offer to call someone for her. I would not pick one up though. It's just too dangerous these days and its sad. Of course if I knew the person I would pick them up.

ramp

Yes, of course if he/she is someone I know, I wouldn't doubt to pick the person. But that's interesting about stopping for a woman. Do you think picking up a woman is "less dangerous" than picking up a man?

carolyn

If it's someone I know maybe but a complete stranger? Nope no way. There are too many evil people in this world to be that trusting sad to say but true.

calanta

No, I did this once years ago and it turned out to be a run away teen. I had thought I was being nice and giving someone a ride the the local skate park (indoor skating) and it turns out she had fled from a local boys/girls home. Plus thinking about it now, who knows the story behind the person you know?

Chris

No, but I do call the police. Our local police will go out and see if they need help or what. You can't trust anyone these days because of the way things are. I remember a time when you could pick up anyone and not worry. But not now.

boomerang

I remember a time when you could pick up anyone and not worry. But not now.
Yes, I remember that time also and I miss it. Helping people was and is still rewarding. Unfortunately now it's not rewarding the way we expect it is.

Hilltopper

No, I wouldn't pick up a hitch-hiker. It's just a situation that I wouldn't be comfortable with. I can't remember a time where I have seen one. I did see a sign outside of a prison saying, "Don't pick up hitch-hikers"... ya think?:tinysmile_hmm_t:

Bruen

It depends on the situation. I've been SOL plenty and I know what it feels like. I trust my instincts on this one and if I don't help I do call the police so they can help them if need be.