Hobo Meals

littlefire

Have you all heard of Hobo Meals? They are delicious and so easy! You take a whole potato, some carrots and other veggies, and some steak, chicken, or beef. Throw in some Worcestershire sauce, wrap it up in tinfoil, and put it over the ashes of the fire. Delicious!

danny28

Sounds very good and easy to do too. I have not had one ever though. I don't really like Worcestershire sauce so I would probably use a different sauce. I wonder how Italian dressing would taste in a hobo meal?

Quinn

That does sound good. You make me wish I was going camping tonight so I could eat that delicious meal. Oh well, wife says we are having meatball subs tonight so I think I will survive.

briansnat

Platnium Member
Had someone make a "hobo stew" on a camping trip in a dutch oven. I recall there being ground beef, potatoes, onion, sliced cabbage, carrots, chopped garlic, beans, chicken broth and Worcestershire and Tabasco sauce in it.

It was pretty good.

DMan

I think a meal like that would be tasty anytime. My wife used to take round steak and sprinkle onion soup mix along with a can of mushroom soup and then add cut up potatoes, carrots and celery. Then she'd wrap it in foil and put in the oven.

Grandpa

Hint on foil dinners; Wrap tightly with aluminum foil as planned. Then wrap in wet newspaper, and wrap tightly again with al foil. The wet newspaper will dissipate the heat better so you don't get any burned spots in the food.

Newanderthal

a few years ago I had some hobos teach me how to make hobo soup. hot water, ketchup, and black pepper. basically it tastes like tomato soup, and since ketchup packets and pepper are free in gas stations...

littlefire

I'll have to try the hobo soup sometime, sounds very interesting. I've never thought to do a hobo meal in the oven, I might have to try that tomorrow. Tonight we are feasting on chicken. :) Also, I'm quite sure any type of sauce, especially Italian Dressing, would taste delicious. You can also use any type of meat you'd use for grilling.

aldove

Awesome meal! I never heard of Hobo meal before, but upon reading about the word Hobo for the first time, I thought it was some subway sandwich. I'm glad I dropped by this thread.

dinosaur

troublemaker
It might taste like tomato soup but there's almost no caloric content. The closest I've come to a hobo meal is taking a can of beans and heating it on the dashboard of my truck while I was working in the sun.

charley

I was camping with a group once and someone had precooked all the fixins for the hobo dinner and all we had to do was put what you wanted in the foil and heat in the coals. There was ground meat, corn, potatoes, beans, and I think a cpl other things. It was very good.

hummingbirdee

The aluminum foil dinners, or Hobo Meals, are a must when camping. You just have to make sure they are done correctly. I have had a few uncooked and over cooked ones. I am going to follow the suggestions posted by Grandpa to see if I can improve these meals.

oldsarge

We use to call them silver bullets. They're great! Our Church used to have Family camp outs every year. I had a buddy who owned a company that would distribute vegetables around the Chicago area restaurants . He would provide everything we need...small red potatoes, onions, peppers and mushrooms, already cut in small sizes. all we did was add the meat, usually ground hamburger seasoned and rolled into a small roll........Damn I'm getting hungry again!

Cappy

Me and some buddies were camped out on a fishin' trip a few years ago. i had prepaired a pork roast seasoned and stuffed with herbs and stuff. Wrapped in several layers of foil a damp rag and several more layers of foil we burried it under a camp fire and got to drinking and telling stories etc and one thing led to another and we forgot it. Several hours later when we dug it out it was the most moist tender flavorful roast i have ever tasted. Course atmosphere has alot to do with taste and anything cooked at a camp site always taste better:tinysmile_fatgrin_t