Horse vs ATV

Wild Bill

I was wondering how people felt about riding a horse as opposed to riding an ATV and vice verse. And I was also wondering which seems easier to own or take care of.

HillbillyMama

Honestly I just don't think there is a comparison. They are two entirely different things. I enjoy them both very much actually. I think if I had to choose which to take care of well anything that is actually alive is much more difficult to maintain. My ATV never jumps through barbed wire fences etc. :)

Bushman

I think I have to agree with HillbillyMama. You can't really compare the two. As for taking care of things that are alive, well I guess that depends on your point of view.

True an ATV won't just run off, but a horse won't just sit there if a tree is about to fall on it.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

calanta

I think each are fine but sometimes people use the wrong thing. There are certain things (say a nice trot) that a horse is better for, if you just want to run around and act like a teen again, ATV. I might be old fashion though. :)

Lovefall

They are Nothing alike. We ride horses on trails and for leisure. ATV's we ride for fun and we hot dog, go fast, mess around, etc. They are nothing alike.

firefly

I think I would rather have a horse. ATV are fun but can also be dangerous. I know a horse is more work to take care of. I`m just not the daredevil type. I`ve heard too many stories in the news about young kids getting killed on ATVs.

lovelife

It is very hard to compare a horse to an ATV. If you are more laid back, you probably would like a horse. If you are more adventuresome, the ATV.

GPER

I have worked with a couple of girls that have horses and they have been kicked bitten. Not to mention the cost of the animal, feed, boarding, and vet bills. I have the cost of my machines, upkeep, up grades, repairs, and fuel. When I'm not riding them they don't cost me and the time time to care for them everyday.

You can tell I didn't get along with a horse very well at one time.

CFlyer

A horse can go where an ATV cannot like in steep mountains. On the other hand, ATV can have the endurance that the horse might be lacking. But preferences will differ according to where you are going to use a horse or an ATV.

ramp

Yes, it's difficult to compare them as they serve different purposes and has their own advantages and disadvantages over each other. In general I prefer horses though as they are not so noisy as ATVs. :)

campgirl

Riding 4-wheelers! I don't ride horses, but I love to ride 4-wheelers! The upkeep on both is totally different. Horses take a lot, they are alive, 4-wheelers take changing the oil and upkeep.