Hot Dogs?

LivingToCamp

Do you have a different way of cooking hot dogs? I know a lot of us like to grill them, especially while camping. But, I wondered if you might have a different way of cooking them. We like to sometimes wrap them in thin bacon and fry them. If we are camping we will use the camp stove and fry pan and do it. They are really good that way!

wvbreamfisherman

Fry them, boil them in beer, impale them on a fork or a stick and cook them over the fire-nothing out of the ordinary- I'll have to try the bacon-wrapped hot dog though.

Actually I think I'd prefer bacon-wrapped bacon...but that's just me.

charley

Slice em like nickles, brown in the skillet with a hand full of diced onions, add some well beaten eggs and cook till brown, turn over, sprinkle with favorite cheese, when cheese is melted the second side is done. Lift and eat. I like mine covered in hot sauce.

outwest

Not really but I am loving the ideas you folks are coming up with. Over the weekend we had a BBQ that did not get rained out, burgers, fries, chips and dogs were on the menu. Then yesterday I had a craving for another at lunch and hit up a close shop to work.

AlwaysOutdoors

Wow these all sound good. I didn't realize either how many ways you could do hot dogs! I really like the bacon wrap idea and will have to try that. I imagine with some onions and peppers thrown in the mix that would be really good!

limbs

I just cut a green stick to use to roast them over the camp fire. As far as I am concerned it is the only way to make hot dogs!

Buehner

Ahh hot dogs! For camping, nothing beats the fried in the campfire. At home, I think I prefer them boiled with a steamed bun some mustard and onion. Is it lunchtime yet?

oldmangunner

I like to cut them in half and cook them in a skillet over the camp fire with some onions. Once they are fried up they are pretty good. You can even add what ever spice you like.

Gabbie

Hmmmm, so many ways to cook a hot dog! I like to just pick them on a stick and hold over an open fire till they are black, not burnt but close. :) I like the idea of the bacon with them. :)

campclose

Wrapping bacon on them? That is something I've never even heard of. I'm thinking I'll give it a try. We roast them over the campfire when we are camping. The kids love to do this. At home we grill them.

oldsarge

Sounds like there' no way to ruin a hot dog no matter how you cook it...you guys are making me hungry again!

dinosaur

troublemaker
Nathan's hot dog on a bun with sliced tomato, diced onions, relish, mustard, hot peppers, and a kosher spear on top.