How big is too big?

Hannah

Is there such thing as too big a bag? I mean is it okay to have a huge pack and only partially fill it, or is it better to have a big one and a small one?

crosscountry

I think it is best to only have a pack the size you need. Who wants to carry a big pack around half full? Seems silly to me, because even half full the bigger pack probably weighs more to start with. I have a small backpack for shorter trips.

Thumper

Never carry around more than you need. It makes a pleasant trip into a chore and a forced march. I have a small backpack that just has essentials in it if we aren't going to camp overnight.

IndianaHiker

I have to packs of different sized and here is way. YOu will find that if you get a pack that is bigger than you need it doesnt fit right. Most pack need to have enough stuff in them to take on the correct shape. If they are not filled to a certain pitn they dont fit right. Bear in mind this is only true for internal frame packs. Here is some very good infor on getting the right pack.

How to Choose a Backpack: Expert Advice from REI

Apis

Too large a pack allows for one to take more than one needs. Be spartan. There are plenty of great small packs that allow for ample gear.

Check Ray Jardine's site for advice on pack size (and making one's own stuff).

zach

always pack acordingly , you dont wanna have extra waight or a bulky pack if its not needed. thats why i recomend having more than one pack and having them in differant sizes.

Mentalfloss1

Disclaimer: I work for REI
I sort of disagree with the small pack idea above. But under these conditions. If you can afford only one pack and if you know that you're planning on longer (5-8 night) backpacking trips, or lots of cold weather/snow camping then get a larger pack. There are fairly light large packs. By large I mean >50 liter.
All decent packs can be cinched down to secure smaller loads.
But if you pretty much know that you'll do weekend trips in good weather then don't bother with a large pack. You'll save money and weight.

Red-Amazon

First, they make some wonderful packs that adjust to different body types. I am over 6' and have always struggled with huge packs that did not fit. I now have a pack that has a small frame and is bigger than my equally tall boyfriends. I got a pack for solo and group backpacking, so when I go out with other people, I am less full and it cinches down wonderfully and fits well.

The only down side, and this is a big one for me, is that you have to defend your space with spit and vinegar. (spit and camp stove fuel?) Otherwise you will carry the camp stove fuel, along with "one more little thing"....like the tent! If you pack with people who have small packs, they look at all your space as if you are not carrying your share and want to even it out visually, (or they have some item they are having a hard time stuffing and they cannot help but notice how easily it would fit in yours) or out on the trail, they have sore knees (tired feet) and see how you can be so very helpful with just another little thing. I tend to be easygoing....and I tend to feel like a pack animal.

Last edited:

Hammster

I second mentalfloss's recommendation to go a bit big. My disclaimer, I'm not an REI employee but would love to be one one of these days. Maybe my dream retirement job. ;) As mentioned, you can generally cinch down the pack so if you have a small load it is well contained. But, if you happen to be out where it's cold and you are wearing lots of layers as you warm up you are going to need a place to stash those layers as you remove them. A bit larger bag will have the room for them.

Michael

I like having different packs. Currently I have two that I use for outdoorsy stuff.

The small one is for day hikes. It's big enough for water, food, first aid supplies, and some extra clothes. It's the perfect size to live out of it for one day, but too small for an overnight; if I put my sleeping bag in it, there wouldn't be room for much else.

The bigger one is for overnights and weekends. I'd feel silly brining a 48L pack for a day hike, because it's just way more than I need. But it fits all the stuff I need for sleeping somewhere for a couple of days.

If I planned to go for a longer trip, something in the 4 to 7 day range, I'd probably want to get a bigger pack. Maybe something in the 65L area.

I just feel like it's a lot more comfortable to use the right size pack for the trip I'm taking. Unfortunately it's more expensive, but I tend to expect a good backpack to last for some years.

le Metis

I ended the frustration of pack size by going to the NRS Paragon pack....

NRS Paragon Pack

For short weekend treks the Paragon carries my pack basket...for canoe treks with portages, different sizes of dry bags as needed. For air travel, it carries a transparent dry bag. For trail work, it'll carry my chainsaw and fuel leaving my hands free to carry a Pulaski, and a Mcleod....

jake_6_6

In my opinion, the biggest reason not to partialy pack a large pack is that is allows the stuff inside to sift around, making the load much more uncomfortable to carry. Especially if you are going to be negotiating some challenging trails requiring jumps and climbing. It can even be dangerous if your gear shifts and throws you off balance.

Flatlander

Don't be a baby! It's the gear that's expensive, not the packs. If money is really the issue, keep an eye out for used gear. And don't be afraid to save a little money on a slightly heavier pack. You're essentially paying extra for weight savings every time you purchase gear. LL Bean makes slightly heavier packs, but they're also (typically) half the money of high end gear. The money you spend on a pack rarely reflects the quality of the product, unless you know you're buying crap to begin with. You're paying for the weight. Get a day pack. If you quickly realize that you're inclined to need a bigger one, do that too!