How young for gun safety?

Greatoutdoors

As I mentioned in another thread I have a two year old. She has seen our guns and knows we carry when we are out of the house. How soon can we start teaching gun safety? Right now she just knows that they are "not to touch".

oldsarge

I say it's never too early to start with well supervised gun and gun safety training. I believe that children should be taught the danger of guns even if they are not going to be around them.

CozInCowtown

"Don't touch" is the best you can do for now, that is a great foundation for later.
Kinda depends on the child but strong parenting skills are a must!!
Stay in control of your child and firearms at all times.
JMO,
DC

Grandpa

You cannot hide anything from the kids. Teach rather than forbid.

Start the in depth training as soon as the child shows more than a passive interest. My oldest daughter became obsessed with daddy's guns at age 3, my son at age 3, and the other two girls were 6 or 7.
The first lesson involved a 12 guage, a watermelon and a load of 00 buck. Lesson learned on first try.
2nd lesson was their chance to shoot a real gun, mama's little ruger bearcat .22. The initial noise was also lesson learned.
Obsession went back to passive for a couple years in every case. By six years old, we scheduled regular shooting days when all farmwork stopped and we all went out to my little range. There they learned firearm safety, range safety, as well as marksmanship.
By age 12, all were proficient with rifle, shotgun and pistol, if not expert.

I took a board and drilled holes and marked each kids section. The appropriate ammo was placed in the hole before we went to shoot so each round could be accounted for. After each shooting episode, all firearms were cleaned and locked back up until the next time. (with the exception of Mom's and Dad's pistols) We never had a problem with any of the kids wanting to handle the guns or play with them as toys. They all took pride in their own marksmanship and the ability to go to the local trap club and show their proficiency with both safety rules and marksmanship.

sticks

Señor Member
It is never too early to start IMO. I remember knowing that guns kill things from my earliest memories and they were not to be played with at any time. I attended gun safety lessons put on by the Fish and Wildlife Dept. for several years in a row. Must have done some good because I hunted solo most of the time and bagged many a rabbit.

Should you teach your child how to shoot? Yes and no. They should know how to handle a weapon properly but beyond that I feel it is up to them to go further.

calanta

I think there should be levels to teaching a child about them. I doubt you would just hand over your gun to a toddler but you can slowly educate the child within their current means of understanding until they reach a suitable age to learn a little more in depth.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I started my kid when she was four. I always taught that a gun won't kill anyone or anything but a crazy or ignorant person weilding it is very dangerous.

Greatoutdoors

Thanks for all the advice guys I am on a couple of gun forums as well and this has come up. She is just so curious about everything and we always answer her honestly and on her level about everything else we are just a little unsure of our footing here. She got a water gun for a "prize" for going potty though and put it in her mouth and I completely flipped out (I know bad mommy) so that's what got the discussion going about where to go from here.