ice on a bike!

carmen

A friend of mine in MD told me she went out biking this morning, hit black ice on the trail and flipped her bike three times before she landed unharmed. Anyone ever go outside when its icy? I have never tried my luck with it.

StillLikeToCamp

Glad your friend didn't end up seriously hurt, sounds like she was very lucky! I don't know that I would attempt to ride a bike when I thought there might be ice around.

oldsarge

We used to ride our dirt bikes on the frozen lake near my house. One person would be on back with ice skates, once you got to speed you lowered your legs and hung on. 60+mph on skates...then let go and cruise. We did this with no help from alcohol. Oh to be young and indestructible again....

SpencerT

Your friend was very lucky. I learned my lesson about tires on ice when I was a kid. I got hurt a few times on the ice back then. That was regular on a regular bicycle though. I haven't tried a dirt bike. Sounds dangerous though.

Grandpa

We used to wrap baling wire around the tires, (redneck chains). but we still had a few crashes and burns. Sure good thing the body can heal.

Wild Rose

I tend to stay inside, when it is icy outside. There is no way I would venture outside, and ride a bike on ice. I learned my lesson, when I was young, after busting my butt on ice several times.

outwest

I have the balance of an hedgehog. I have flipped bikes on dry land before, the first time is tied with another. The first was learning how to hop curbs as a kid with the boys (I was/am a tomboy), flipped it twice and landed on my front lawn. The second is when I was in my twenties doing the exact same thing in a work parking lot when I worked night shift, in a skirt!

rockin

Wow, flipped it several times and did not get hurt - she is lucky! Nope, I won't take the bikes out unless it's sunny and warm. I have slipped numerous times from just walking on ice and black ice.

Subaru Camper

No biking on ice for this guy! Glad your friend was not seriously injured.

Reminds me of a funny story involving my brother, a dirt bike and some ice.

Now, by brother did not fall, luckily, but it was more his poor preparation of his dirt bike studs as a kid. We were young and he rode a dirt bike and I always rode a four wheeler. In order to ride with me in the snow and ice he decided to stud his tires with screws. Unfortunately nobody told him to secure the screws with glue and let them set. We made it about 3 miles down a dirt road that was currently snow and ice until he felt a bit uneasy. We stopped, looked at his tire and all the screws he had put in were now gone.... fail. Luckily I don't think they were long enough to really damage any car tires as they were most likely scattered between our house and current location. Needless to say the ride back was a slow one for him as he did not have much grip! I still bring it up at family gatherings and we have a laugh.

rayne

Grandpa, you sound like my kinda guy with the redneck chains. That's awesome. I don't venture on black ice any time, any how, any way. Car crash 3 years ago left me with 9 screws and a plate in my ankle and screws and plates in my wrist. Fellow came across three lanes of traffice and hit me head on due to black ice. Glad I wasn't on a bike. Ha, Ha!

campclose

Nope, I don't ride bikes in the winter. I'm sure she means a real bicycle right and not a motorcycle? I'm glad she was ok after flipping it several times. I've never had a bike accident!

DMan

Been there, done that, don't want to do it again. I ended up slipping and sliding so much that I had to give up and walk alongside the bike, so now if it's icy, the bike stays at home.

racoon

No, I would never be brave enough to try it, not unless they came up with some failproof snow tires for bikes or something! Hey, that may be a good invention for somebody! I am glad your friend didn't get hurt, though!

Mudder

A friend of mine in MD told me she went out biking this morning, hit black ice on the trail and flipped her bike three times before she landed unharmed. Anyone ever go outside when its icy? I have never tried my luck with it.
Studded tires are made for both vehicles and bicycles. Godsent. Studded is a must for me from November to March on both bike & truck if I want no problems. A fat tire Surly Pugsly is the ultimate winter bicycle.

Attachments

ppine

Forester
It all depends on what you are used to. When I lived in Laramie many of the students at the U of WY rode their bikes to school including snow storms with 20 degrees below zero temperatures.

There was one guy with an old VW bus that he had taken the motor out of. He welded some rings to the front bumper and pulled it with a team of draft horses. He cut a slot for the reins thru the front (firewall). He claimed it always started and kept him out of the wind. He had some kind of catalytic heater and used it all winter.

Last edited:

Swampy Dawg

When I was a teenager, in WI, my bicycle was the only means of transportation I had. So, it was ridden all year long. In fact, I remember riding my bike to go ice fishing, so not only was I riding it on the snow and ice covered roads but out onto the icy lake.

ppine

Forester
When I lived in Laramie the students at the U of Wyo rode their mountain bikes to class all year long. That includes blizzards at 7200 feet and several feet of snow. Most of them had studded bike tires, and they did fine.

One guy lived out of town. He had an old VW bus with no drivetrain. He used a pair of horses in harness to pull it, with a heater inside. There was a slot in the firewall for the reins to go thru.