In or Out

Greatoutdoors

In an end of the world as we know it type situation or if there is some kind of major civil unrest (if the fan gets dirty as Grandpa put it (love that))are you bugging in or out? Do you have plans in place for whatever decision you have made?

We would not be bugging in at home but very nearby in my parents neighborhood. It's about 4 minutes by car and maybe an hour if we had to walk. We have what we need to survive, but we couldn't take it on the run because our kids are so small...and loud!

outdoorchick

We are bugging in and of the stand and defend mindset. We don't have everything that I would like for us too but we have several months worth of food, water, and ammunition should there be a need for it. We still need hunting knives, first aid supplies, and lighting options if there is no power.

Judy Ann

I'm considered essential personnel so I'll have to stay right here. I've worked through hurricanes, earthquakes, worried about biohazards, recently had gunmen shooting people in the clinics and front door of my hospital and I deal with life and death daily. From what a few of you have mentioned in passing I guess it's good that we do major brain surgery here at this hospital. And to think...when I got into this profession (nurse) I thought I was going to be a professional butt-wiper!!!:doh:

Lorax

Bugging in. Got food, a water source, woods, the ability to eat things most people wouldn't and I can lend my hand at security at local farms in exchange for goods.

Bring it!

outwest

If I could not barricade myself in my own home we have a nearby family member that has a larger farm type setup that we could use. The good part for them is that their home has a fireplace, the bad part is its more than 30 minutes away.

southerngal

In but not here at this location. My parents live in a neighborhood of likeminded folks and we would be headed over there. Just a few minutes drive. We do have our own stockpile of food, water, weaponry and ammunition here in case we couldn't get there for some reason, but the plan is to pack it up and head there.

Ilovelife

We would be bugging in. We have ammo, food and a way to get water. I am a nice person but if it were civil unrest I would defend my home and family to the end.

Camoguy

We would be staying put. I have some pretty nasty surprises for anyone that would like to try to get into my house or in our stores if it comes to that. Stay and defend is the best idea I think. We live wayyyy the heck out in the country anyway, so we would probably be one of the destinations for a lot of people.

IndianaHiker

Well my thoughts on this subject are not going to be popular but here goes. I am not planning much of anything. I will open my doors and try to help as many as possible and hope that in an event of this proportion that others will do the same. I will not defend what I have nor will not refuse to share what small resources I might have with others in need.

My thought on this are simple if things that so bad that every things falls apart and it comes down to kill to live I don't want to be a part of it. If the infrastructure falls down and people turn to monsters where I would have to hide or lock myself in a hole there is no quality of life there. To me I would have no desire to prolong my life if the quality wasn't there.

What I would do is take my pack use my last tank of gas to get to my favorite place to backpack. Set up some crude shelter and live out that way for as long as I could and just enjoy what time was left. Yes I know that I could only sustain myself for so long on small game and wild plants, however I would die at peace knowing I didn't take part in the madness.

southerngal

Indian Hiker I don't think that your ideas are unpopular and for me personally if you ASKED for help I will give it if I am able, but I have worked unbelievably hard to set us up to be ready for this type of situation and I will stand for NO ONE trying to TAKE from me and mine.

Judy Ann

Well my thoughts on this subject are not going to be popular but here goes. I am not planning much of anything. I will open my doors and try to help as many as possible and hope that in an event of this proportion that others will do the same. I will not defend what I have nor will not refuse to share what small resources I might have with others in need.

My thought on this are simple if things that so bad that every things falls apart and it comes down to kill to live I don't want to be a part of it. If the infrastructure falls down and people turn to monsters where I would have to hide or lock myself in a hole there is no quality of life there. To me I would have no desire to prolong my life if the quality wasn't there.

What I would do is take my pack use my last tank of gas to get to my favorite place to backpack. Set up some crude shelter and live out that way for as long as I could and just enjoy what time was left. Yes I know that I could only sustain myself for so long on small game and wild plants, however I would die at peace knowing I didn't take part in the madness.
x 2 Wayne!

Both of my Grandmothers had big soup pots simmering continuously on the back burner for those that were hungry back in the depression era. Both lived in large cities on the East Coast with their families and went through "blackout drills" (probably not the right term). Neither of my grandfathers owned guns. I'd like to think that in times of trouble the majority of this nation would join together to protect what is "ours" versus what is "mine."

I used to think I'd take my little tent to the mountains and hope to survive, but after a long drive through some of this country's bloodiest battle grounds in Virginia, I've nixed that idea and will probably enjoy some fishing and sunsets on the Outer Banks.

3ofusnow

In sort of...we have family nearby so long term we would head there, but I feel that you should have your personal home prepared to stay there as well because anything could happen. We recently had tornadoes here and our location is fine, but some family members lost their homes. Best to be prepared for many different possible scenarios in my book. I, like some others here, don't have a problem sharing what is mine with others...I have serious issues with others trying to take from me. I wish more people would wake up and start preparing things for themselves. You would think just the current budget crisis would be enough to open their eyes. If you don't want to be able to protect yourself by storing guns and ammo fine that's your choice, but at least take responsibility for your own families and store up some food and water. People tend to assume the government will take care of them if crisis hits, but if there is no money how do you expect them to do that?

oldsarge

In rough times like that, helping others is great if it's something you can do safely. But when the ass clowns are running rampant in the streets taking what ever they can, I will do what ever it takes to survive. I live in the far south suburbs of Chicago, so my situation will be far different fro those of you's who live out in the country. Country folk alway seem more prepared for the worst and also seem to be the most down to earth and caring folks around. I don't see that to often around here. As of right now I'd have to bug out and head for a safer area, but hopefully in the future I can relocate to a more secluded area and hold down the fort from there. Either way you look at it, I will survive at all cost.

Soldat

I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. Too much to carry and where would I go that's better? I don't have the ideal spot to defend but, that's ok. I don't think anyone in this county would risk trying me and my pups. I would be ok with helping others a bit. Women are always welcome. On a serious note, trespassers will be shot and then fed to the dogs. They need nourishment too. That's all in case of a total collapse, much like is getting ready to happen with the government that some fools voted for.

southerngal

Soldat I think we are walking pretty close to the edge of the cliff on that myself. We have started stocking a little more when we can here lately because I have noticed grocery prices are already climbing.

Soldat

Grocery prices rising? I just picked up a can of mixed veg at IGA. I mix it for my dog that's on a diet. Ninety-five cents for one stinking can of IGA brand. I try to live out of the garden as much as possible but can't find seeds that'll grow cans of mixed veggies. Pretty soon I won't be able to afford store food. If the collapse is gonna happen I pray it happens soon. I'm dieing slowly here. If my government is going to kill me, please make it one to the head and put me out of my misery. If anyone lives near KY and wants to exchange ideas please let me know via pm. I have always been a cheap SOB but even I'm having a hard time shopping at Save-a-lot. Used to be 29 cents per can for veggies. They're up to 69 now. HELP.

southerngal

Soldat do you have a Kroger in your area? We have started buying their store brand frozen veggies (you usually get more than in the cans) when they have their 88 cent sales, and then we dehydrate them and put them in canning jars or freezer bags for later use.