Injured animals.

striker

Have you ever come across one? What did you do? Did you get involved or let nature take it's course? I found a squirrel once, don't know what the little fellow had he wasn't really moving to much and seemed very frail so I wrapped him in a make shift blanket and put him in my pocket, this was around April in a month or so he was good as new, so at the beginning of June I released him back into the wild.

Joe S.

I came across a deer that had been hit on the highway by someone, but hadn't died. I shot it to put it out of it's misery then called the fish and game department to report it.

GPER

There was a speckled fawn that wandered on the road leading into camp. We had to stop for it and it wandered between the Jeep and the trailer. I don't know what was the matter with it, but there was a ranger close by so I told him. What he did I don't know.

Chippin

I've taken care of my share of injured animals. Mostly birds. When I was little, a baby chick fell out of it's nest but was amazingly still alive. The mother ignored it so we brought the chick inside and tried to take care of it. Sadly, only two days after we began feeding it and taking care of it, it died while we were away at church. Another instance was when my dog injured a bird's wing. I brought it inside and nursed it to health for a few weeks.

It's just something I enjoy doing. I may hunt and fish and kill animals, but if there's a chance to help a few in my lifetime, I'm all over it.

Amelie

This has never happened to me, but personally I wouldn't know how to put a seriously injured animal "out of it's misery". I think if I was close enough to a town I'd seek veterinary help, or tell the police. Otherwise I'd give the animal water . . .

BCBabe

I've rescued more than my share of injured birds, but the oddest rescue of an injured animal had to be the night my partner and I came across an adult beaver lying on the roadway, having been hit by a car. It was obvious a leg was broken, the road was only yards from the banks of the river the creature called home....

I can tell you that a beaver can growl like a pit bull does, and that they are NOT easy to wrestle with: the beaver made it back into the water after being moved to the river bank.

Lorax

Good story.

So here i am bouncing along a dirt road that cuts through the gamelands. Nobody around for miles and I've gt the window down. It's a beautiful spring day. I see something just standing there on the side and slow down.
It's a huge owl! The one wing just doesn't look right and it can't fly.

I'm thinking...."You're in luck little buddy!" I've got a friend right down the road that runs the raptor/wildlife rehab place and she lives not 10 miles from here!

So I go behind my seat and find a quilted flannel shirt to wrap him up in, figuring I'll just stow him on the passenger side on the floor.

See where this is going? anyone?...........anyone?.........

I go to wrap this little dude up and it goes absolutely ballistic on me! The hissing and the noises this thing made were demonic!
I try a few more times, but this time I realize there's no way this thing is going up front with me, it's a ride in the back for you.

I get the shirt over him and the thing goes bonkers. At one point it came at me hissing so loud I jumped back and fell down the bank with this demon owl wearing a flannel shirt coming after me.

After about 15 minutes of this, I decided that coyotes and foxes have to eat too, and left. I did call in to the rehab place and tell them where it was, but I left out the details of a grown man being run off by a flannel clad owl.