Just reserved our campsite for summer vacation - CO

Sperez

I am pretty excited. Just reserved our campsite for our family's summer vacation in the White River National Forest in Carbondale, CO near Aspen. This will be our 4th family camping trip (we have our third scheduled over Memorial Day). Coming from the DFW area in Texas I am sure the cooler climate will be a relief in June.

We are car campers. Any tips on this area is much appreciated. Kids are 7 and 5 , so still very open to trying new things.

I was excited to find a campsite with showers and flushing toilets (Yeah!)

Thanks,
Sharon

ChadTower

Ha. I know that feeling. Congrats and I bet you wish you could start packing right now.

Need more details in order to give useful advice. Length of trip, type of vehicle, will you be camping right next to the vehicle or do you have to carry stuff, things like that.

Sperez

Hi Chad.

We are planning 5 nights (might be 4). Ford Expedition. Camping right next to truck. It will be husband, kids and I.

I enjoy cooking and I am thinking we will purchase non pantry items once we get to CO.

Thanks again-
Sharon

InTheWoods

I think anyplace in Colorado is awesome, so I'm sure you'll have lots of fun. Especially with a 'modern' campsite LOL. My husband and I have gone camping in Colorado, but haven't been to the White River National Forest. I think I'll check it out.

Sperez

Thanks. I have read that snow in June is a possibility. Does anyone have experience with the Rockies in June to help me determine how likely snow or rain is at the end of June?

I figure the end of July and August would be the rainy season. Need to do a bit of googling on weather I guess.

Grandpa

Always a possibility of snow in June, and July and August as well. Not likely but possible.
There really isn't a lot of difference in the summer if it is rain or snow. Plan for sub freezing temps at night always. Even in good weather, low thirtys at night is more the norm than 50's. You will still see lot's of snow on the ground higher up.