Like the most about hiking?

Bud

There is much to like and enjoy about hiking. What do you enjoy the most about it? For me, I like the idea of travelling at a natural pace on my own steam.

outwest

The fresh air, no matter what the weather is. I am stuck in an office all wee and when I am on call or there is a crazy mess going on and I am stuck there on the weekends too it drives me up the wall.

Footprints

The peace, the fresh air and the challenge. I like everything there is about hiking, but finding a less traveled, challenging hike is a perfect day to me.

oldsarge

There is much to like and enjoy about hiking. What do you enjoy the most about it? For me, I like the idea of travelling at a natural pace on my own steam.
I agree! Just being able to make your own way at your own pace. Being able to sit somewhere you find relaxing and kick back for a while. That's when I boil up some water for coffee and light up a cigar...as long as I'm alone that is.

Jobiwan

What do I enjoy about it? I enjoy the fact that hiking allows me to be me. The way that God (am I allowed to say "God" in this forum? The word itself has been taken away from my "Pledge Of Allegiance" where I live) intended me to live. Like most folks, it's natural for me to put one foot in front of another. I am grateful and enjoy the fact that I have the ability to do such. I enjoy the sublime feeling of being in nature and hiking a trail, may be easy or difficult. To get the top of a mountain to just be...me I guess. I really enjoy helping trail stewards maintain the trails as well. I use them, why not? My life is very consumed with hiking....and I enjoy it immensely! Oh, and Bud, I agree with going at a natural pace, that's the most enjoyable. Happy trails!

Susie

Yes, the natural pace of things is wonderful. I notice more when I am at a natural pace. How much can you really observe and take in at 60 mph?

dinosaur

troublemaker
I like what I see, smell, touch, hear, and taste. Walking in the widerness, even on familiar ground, is never the same. It always presents something new and using all of ones' senses will keep the sense of wonder.

InTheWoods

It is so much more peaceful and quiet. I get great exercise doing a strenuous walk and feel like I am doing my body so much good. Also, when I hike, I notice things I wouldn't otherwise notice, such as spider webs spun in trees or the variety of wildflowers growing together.

rockytibby

I love the flora and fauna, the fresh air, and especially the water. Don't you just love creeks,natural springs, river and lakes? The pinkish color of a sunset over the mountains. I could go on and on....

freedommachine

Seeing old growth forests with trees that are 3 or 4 or more feet at the base over 150 feet tall. Or the redwoods seeing trees over 20 feet at the base and over a1000years old. Walking across lava flows trying to imagine what it must of looked like when the mountains were arupting. Seeing mountains full of obsidien glass rock that sparkles when the sun hits the rocks. Finding old logging railroads that have long been forgot. The list goes on

safn1949

I like the lack of both civilization and humanity,I usually hike alone but have recently found a hiking partner.God? Of course you can say it,I feel him close to me in the woods.

As I get older I really am starting to long for the trails.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Kepper

Wanderer
I like the solitude. Going where most people won't. When I hike I get to see and find things that the average person doesn't even know exists.