Lost at sea

Hyde

Say you were lost at sea and you manage to stay afloat and find some drift wood to hold on to. What things would you do to try to stay alive?

T

tentrus

Great question! First I would try not to get eaten by any sharks or killer whales. Other than that I'm thinking I would just float in hopes that someone would see me.

rockin

I'm with tent - I'd hope for the best. Hopefully someone would miss me and come look for me. I can't imagine what I would do at sea if I only had a piece of driftwood!

oldsarge

Alone, at sea with a piece of drift wood........probably die a slow death of exposure.

DThewanderer

Well, I hope that I would have some kind of a container to collect rain water in. I suppose you could hope that you might float by a container you can collect rain water in. I think that would be your first challenge. Or maybe I could try to place my shoes on the driftwood to collect rain water to drink.

Last edited:

MtMakiling

I will try to keep calm and relax. Sometimes the more we struggle the more we drown. Then I would pray for bottle-nosed dolphins to come to my rescue.

calanta

That would depend how far out I am, if its kind of close my stubborn side would kick in and while attempting to dodge the sharks I would paddle by buns back to the shore line. I mean, whats the sense in hanging out waiting for a shark?

sailorman

Haha

I will try to keep calm and relax. Sometimes the more we struggle the more we drown. Then I would pray for bottle-nosed dolphins to come to my rescue.
Lol, wouldn't that be great. Can we modify this a bit. Instead of just a piece of driftwood, how about we say we are in a small boat with a few basic survival tools?

oldsarge

Lol, wouldn't that be great. Can we modify this a bit. Instead of just a piece of driftwood, how about we say we are in a small boat with a few basic survival tools?
Thanks.....now I'm going to suffer twice as long! Just kidding, Now I have a chance. I'll have to think about this for a while and get back to you.

Scotty

I wouldn't have a clue, but then I'm not likely to be far enough from the shore to have that much trouble. I've never been "at sea" farther than being able to see the shore. I'm more of a lake guy.

Camoguy

I hear you there. I don't have any experience with the sea and would probably do something really, really stupid off the bat to get myself killed. I would have to stay near shore.

oldsarge

How did I get out there? Plane crash? Boat sink? A little too long on the floaty at the beach and got caught in a current???? Just trying to figure my situation!

Ilovelife

You were on a cruise ship goofing off in one of the life boats. You hit the wrong button and splash you're in the middle of the ocean and all the tools you have are the ones stored on the life boats. The cruise ship doesn't notice and your all on your own. OK, so what supplies would you normally find in a situation like that? (Does that help?)

oldsarge

Is this a large wooden life boat or one of those small rubber ones? Just kidding! Well....I'm much better off than I was with that piece of drift wood. Will I be getting that back? It may come in handy! First off I'd inventory my survival kit on the boat. Then formulate a plan. Main goal is water to drink, so rationing water is vital and obtaining more is my primary objective. Second would be food, so that's the next plan. after that I think signalling for help. No telling how long I'm going to be here so conserving energy is important also. Hopefully this is one of those life boats with a cover over it. Staying out of the direct sun is a big help. Not much more to do other than try to stay out of the elements as much as possible and wait it out.

ChadTower

First goal is probably shade, actually. If you can't get out of the sun you are going to last half as long while trying to find potable water.