Most weight you can carry ?

Yab9

When you backpack, what's the most weight you can carry? I can put a lot inside my backpack but my girlfriend is not able to carry to much weight all by herself. How much weight can you carry when you go on such a trip ?

ppine

Forester
I can probably carry 75-80 pounds but I wouldn't like it. Only in an emergency or hauling out meat downhill with good trail.

There are occasions when someone gets hurt that others need to carry out their equipment, or carry a child or a pet. It is useful to be able to carry heavy loads in an emergency.

edit- I used to carry around 45 pounds when I was younger, but now try to stay under 30 pounds.

Last edited:

wvbreamfisherman

Yeah, I'm pretty much there with ppine- maybe more like 65-75 for me. I can manage about 50 pretty easily. Obviously, you don't want to be a pack mule, so its best to carry well under your limit, if at all possible.

Lamebeaver

You're approaching this from the wrong angle.

What's the least amount you can carry and still be safe and comfortable?

IndianaHiker

Don't know and have no plans to find out. Must my packs are rated to 45 lbs or so and I don't plan on carrying that much. I have spent a good deal of time and money to go lighter

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
I have fairly light weight gear but when I add my camera equipment and 25 pounds of water the pack feels like a pig. That is about how much I can carry. It feels much better after most of the water has been consumed.

The fine thing is; there are never any people where I end up, never. It is beautiful solitude in a scene that looks like a painting. All the other backpackers are around water sources.

ponderosa

I weigh 120 lbs, and can manage a 40 lb pack if I have to, which is sometimes the case when carrying a toddler or baby plus gear. I'm much, much happier in the 25-30 lb range. I can easily go for 5-7 days in that weight range, if I'm not packing one of my kids.
My brother works with big slabs of granite all day for his work, and is nothing but muscle, especially his back, shoulders, & arms. He can hike all day like a mountain goat with 80 lbs. He makes an excellent sherpa when we have lots of little kids along. :)

wvbreamfisherman

There is some open area between minimalist, and pack animal. I carry more than the minimum, but not the maximum. Everything you carry ought to be thoughtfully considered, not only for utility, but for weight.

Once you have the necessities covered, you can consider if the extra weight of something else is worth the value (comfort, luxury, whatever) it has for you.

Everyone makes their own value judgements.

That said, there is value in knowing that in an emergency that you can stagger off with big load.

Michael

I have no clue how much weight I can carry. I'm not really interested in finding out, either. You tend to figure out your limit by crossing it, and that doesn't sound fun to me.

The 20-25 pounds I tend to carry when camping is fine. as is the 30-35 I carry when I decide to exercise by walking with a load on my back. Neither feels close to my limit.

carmen

I would much prefer to carry light than not. I am still working to get back the strength in my right shoulder, arm, side of back due to an accident years ago. Right now I am pretty light even with a good pack on but I hope to get back up to at least 50/pack if I can.

Esperahol

I tend to carry around 30 lbs which leaves 20-30 lbs for the results of hunting or for samples I pick up for my studies. I can go to 75 lbs, but it isn't comfortable and it leaves me sore... so I don't do it unless I have to.

CozInCowtown

I camp with women and kids so I start out with a completely empty medium ALICE pack and generally return with a pack filled (stuffed) to capacity because they got tired and "didn't wanna carry it no more".
I wonder if that is the main reason we only day hike 99.995% of the time.
Coz

hummingbird

I can't carry much. If I can carry my food and water for the day, I'm doing good. Add a camera, binoculars and a paperback and I'm pretty much at my limit. My back isn't very good and sometimes I can't even carry that if I go.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I carry what I need, and nothing more. I've pared my cook kit down to one mug and a cat food can stove. My gps and headlamp get new batteries before I leave - no spares. Phone stays off unless I need it. My only luxury is my hammock. I thought I would save weight over a tent but by the time I add the underquilt it weighs the same as a tent and pad. My stuff tends towards bulky instead of heavy. My 20deg bag is comparable weight wise to a down bag, but bigger when stuffed. My underquilt is really light, but slightly bigger stuffed than a thermarest pad. My pack is big, at 75L, and is the one place I could save some weight (if I bought lighter), but it's so comfortable on, I don't mind it weighs a pound more than its competitor. Plus I can afford to buy a new pack...when I have one that works.
But I find that even with my bigger pack and bulkier stuff, I'm not in the back when we're grinding up the hills. And I don't have stuff strapped all over the outside... I'm happy with what I can carry.

shaun

I reckon I could carry up to 100 lbs. I do weight training so carrying 100 lbs is not a heavy weight for me. My rucksack usually weighs much less than 100 lbs, 50 lbs is a comfortable load for me.

Mudslide

When you backpack, what's the most weight you can carry? I can put a lot inside my backpack but my girlfriend is not able to carry to much weight all by herself. How much weight can you carry when you go on such a trip ?
" I can put alot inside my backpack"

Bro, you and I need to go bping then! Im always looking for ways to lighten my load even more and definitely could use someone to carry my stuff!!:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

How much weight besides typical food/clothes/water does your girlfriend need to carry? My wife is petite and she's pretty good with about 25-30 lbs if she has to, but the lighter the more she enjoys the hike.

Grandpa

I never worry about how much I can carry. My only concern is how little can I carry to enjoy the trip. I also don't hike with people who carry 100 lbs. Gets tiresome waiting for them to catch up.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Another important question is how much your pack can carry. You might be able to physically carry more than your pack can support.

I bring maybe 30lbs, but my stuff is pretty bulky. My pack is a beast though- it could probably hold 60 pounds. I wouldn't get very far with it, though.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
Another important question is how much your pack can carry. You might be able to physically carry more than your pack can support.
Good point that some miss when buying a pack.

Mine is rated comfortable support for 60 lbs and I have to push that a bit when going in with full kit, 25 lbs of water and almost 10 lbs food weight when going into the country we like. It feels much better with 35 lbs total. When I do solo resupply for us, I'm carrying 40 lbs of water, food weight which has to be about another 10 to 15 lbs and fuel. It feels heavier than my full kit with the 25 lbs of water and less food weight. We split that to an extent on the way in. This is when I am jealous of those of you who have those vast sublime areas with many water sources. Only a little though. :laugh: