Natural Shelter (No tools)

Dura Mater

If one is to take wilderness survival seriously there should be some emphasis placed on natural shelters. Sometimes you just might not have a tent, tarp, or space blanket. I don't exactly build and use these for vacations but sleeping a night or two in one will certainly tell you what works and what doesn't. How warm do you need to be? Debris shelter versus lean to? How far does the fire need to be to keep yourself from spontaneous combustion?

I slept in this one a while back, it was from poles found on site, cattail bed, bark shingles, and a fire reflector. The reflector was cannibalized a few days later for firewood (these pictures were taken 6 weeks after the shelter was built). Temperatures were in the single digits and I eventually had to get out of my sleeping bag.

No tools or cordage were used to build this, just things we scavenged off the ground and placed on the shelter. Full disclosure: I did have have some friends to help which made very short work of this shelter. One of those friends was my mentor in wilderness survival and almost everything I know was taught to me by him.

oldsarge

This is great! The only time I ever use all natural tools was when I was in Panama. I feel that out there it's easier due to the climate and abundance of building materials. The only draw back was the insects and some of the wildlife being a pain.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Very good. If you're dressed for the weather, and have a good fire going, it will probably work out fine. Your post should also be a good teaching tool for others.

This does does not mean that you or others should go afield unprepared, however.

Dura Mater

You found clean sawcut logs on the ground in the woods? :)
Ha! I knew someone would call me on that good eye. I used the shelter a couple times for day trips after I slept in it and had some proper firewood. There was no snow on the ground when I slept in it either for the record.

ChadTower

Heh. There is a shelter like that, but two sided, in some conservation land by my house. I built it one day while my kids were messing around with a partial underground stream. I didn't sleep in it but two years later it's still there.

ppine

Forester
Good job. Always carry waterproof fire starter and a blade big enough for shelter building. Your outfit is a lot warmer than most people's high-tech low weight tents.

Dura Mater

Good job. Always carry waterproof fire starter and a blade big enough for shelter building. Your outfit is a lot warmer than most people's high-tech low weight tents.
This is sound advice. Almost nothing you can't improvise without a good knife and a method to make fire.

Marshmallow

The folks on "Survivor" should take lessons from you before they start out. This outdoor survival shelter is so basic, but I can see how it would work extremely well.

limaker

We try to avoid as much as we can and use what is around us but we seem to still be learning as we go. The kids also have issues without having a real tent. For them it means the Boogeyman can not get through the zipper part. I love the idea though!

Blueskyy

Awesome job! I have never built one...yet...we will be taking some trips without the little ones in the Spring and plan to try our hand at building a shelter.I know what yuo mean Limaker...with mine it is the tent and a flashlight that stays on all night long. They have never seen anything scary so I am not sure what the deal is.

ppine

Forester
The psychology of being in a tent is something most of us have grown up with. It is an enclousure, it seems secure. Being in a lean-to or under an open tarp, is expansive. You can see out, it puts you more in touch with what you came to see. A fire can be used to warm it up, but there is no enclosure. I encourage anyone who has only camped in tents to try an open shelter, and in good weather, no shelter except for some trees for thermal protection.

Michael

I encourage anyone who has only camped in tents to try an open shelter, and in good weather, no shelter except for some trees for thermal protection.
This summer, I'm planning to try a hammock with nothing but a bug net. Sleeping under a tarp was a real eye opener, so I imagine that not having anything block my view at all is going to blow my mind.

ChadTower

For them it means the Boogeyman can not get through the zipper part.

Heh. My grandfather taught us that we were the Boogeymen to the things living in the woods. They are more afraid of us than we are of them. You can't fear the Boogeyman if you are the Boogeyman. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

ppine

Forester
Chad,

You have demonstrated a way to empower kids. It is the way to give them confidence that they control their own destiny. They can react appropriately to whatever is thrown at them in the outdoors.

Subaru Camper

I built a shelter very similar to the one pictured; unfortunately I didn't get to use it as I had a perfectly good tent set up about 200 yards away. It was more of a "see if I can do it" and be prepared in case I ever needed to. I was at a campground with some friends of mine doing a week trip where we just live out of the camp. All the other friends of mine had to work that day and I was left alone at camp for 9 hours.

The shelter started slow but as it formed it began to come together much faster and easier. I was amazed at just how many dead branches and wood I could find to make the shelter. It was a good couple hours spent for me just to build it, I hung out in it and took a quick nap before everyone came back for the night.

I will be returning to this campground again this year and you know I will be making the journey into the woods to see if my creation is still "alive"

oldsarge

Subaru Camper I will be returning to this campground again this year and you know I will be making the journey into the woods to see if my creation is still "alive"[/QUOTE said:
I've seen this kind of shelter built in the woods around where I live. Mostly kids building them for little party places. They last for years with minor touch ups. some get pretty elaborate. Iv'e seen them with doors and walls added on, mud packed in to seal out the wind and rain then covered with grass and leaves. Next time I run across one I'll get some pictures.