Newbie on sunglasses

rockytibby

I am in need of a new pair of sunglasses. I usually just buy anything cheap (I know my bad). So this time I want to buy a pair thats polarizied, to protect from the glare of the sun and water. I was thinking of some brands like Oakley, Ray Ban, Smiths.... What do you wear and like the most, before I lay out 2-3 hundred dollars. Thanks in advance.

Oh and is there a certain % of protection I should be aware of on the anti-glare part?

Judy Ann

Go to a good shop that sells all types of glasses for their opinion. I wore Maui Jim's for many years, Oakleys for court and beach activities and prescription polarized glasses now that work well from hiking in the mountains to salt water fishing. Just as one can pick up on a lot of information by visiting a good sporting goods store (REI, Bass Pro, Cabellas) a good store that sells glasses can be an excellent resource. Depending on additional hobbies (snow skiing) you might require additional pairs.

wvbreamfisherman

I have to wear glass safety glasses (I'm a chemist and solvents and plastic lenses mix altogether too well.) that are bifocals as well. I have my glasses made with photogray for everyday use, and also got a pair of clip-on polarized lenses to wear fishing and on the water.

Can't help you much with a brand for straight sunglasses, but I'd definitely recommend polarized lenses- they cut the glare of reflected sunlight enormously.

Gondor

I like Oakley's and great thing about them is that you can have them with prescription glasses. They are expensive but worth every penny.

John13np

Steepandcheap dot com always has good sunglasses for great deals. I would say to keep updated on that site until you see something you like and snag it up. A good way to get a get set for atleast half off, sometimes up to 90% off ;)

rockytibby

Thanks all for the advice, and I will check out steepandcheap. The problem with just going to a shop is the under paid clerk at the counter usualy doesn't know the product their selling. So I like to know something about the product before I buy.

outwest

Mine are not too bad but they are set with my Rx from my doctor and they change when I go out into the sun. Not the best when it comes to driving but are fine for me on hikes.

rockytibby

Your not going to believe this ,but when I was on a hike acouple of weeks ago I found a pair of sun glasses on the side of a dirt road. No shit. They looked like they had been there for a while,practicly covered I almost missed them. They are body glove protective with anti glare and rose colored lenses. I looked them up and they are worth around $100. Cool find, I feel bad about the person who lost them. Its called finders recycling.