nikwax waterproofing

alex k

looking to redo water proofing on two packs and a winter weight jacket ( shell on a three season one ) and nylon rain slicker .
i'm looking for some opinions on and advice from folks that have used nickwax products .

thanks ,
alex

Grandpa

I've never used nikwax waterproofing but their down soap works great for cleaning my down filled products.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
looking to redo water proofing on two packs and a winter weight jacket ( shell on a three season one ) and nylon rain slicker .
i'm looking for some opinions on and advice from folks that have used nickwax products .

thanks ,
alex
I have used their Nikwax TX.Direct Wash-in for wet weather clothes. The recommend it for waterproof breathables. It does revive the waterpoofing. It also leaves a fairly durable coating on whatever you wash it in. I choose a five gallon bucket for my jackets and pants. That bucket slides water off the plastic so well that it is not wet after you turn it upside down. It does the same with rain garments. I have not tried in on my packs yet but it helped my old nylon tarp with water repellent performance. The fabric does not wet out and dries much quicker.

This is something that needs to be done periodically. The rougher the use, the more frequent the treatments.

They have various products for different materials if I recall. TX.Direct is the only one I have tried for waterproofing.

46u

I have a high dollar motorcycle cover and it got where it would not repeal water what so ever. I called them to find out what to use and it made it like new. Going to do my old tent as well.