Pie iron pizza

Cupcake77

We make pie iron pizzas almost every time we go camping. Basically you put 2 slices of bread on each side of a pie iron. Put sauce, cheese and whatever toppings you want in it and then close the pie iron. We put them in the campfire for a few minutes and it is absolutely delicious.

SmokeyJoe

I've had 'em with flour tortillas, and I make them at home quite often. Just put them on a cookie sheet, or even a pizza pan if you just want one. Add your sauce, cheese and whatever toppings you want. Better than Dominos, in my opinion, and much cheaper.

Barney

People, stop talking about delicious food. I've started a diet because I need to lose at least 10 pounds if I want to achieve some adventures this year. You're not helping! :)

campclose

We have these every time we have a camp fire. The key is to put them in the coals so you don't burn the sandwich. You also have to turn the pie iron half way through cooking.

Never tried it with tortillas, will have to.

carmen

I think the tortillas might be a better idea too, last thing you want is a sloppy pizza that gets soggy. I have heard of a few people using flat bread before and that it works pretty well.

Cupcake77

I have never had the bread get soggy when I was making them. I might give them a try with tortillas though because it sounds tasty. Does the pie iron seal the seams on a tortilla the same as it does on bread?

campclose

I've never had a problem with soggy bread either. The bread gets all toasty! I wonder what you are doing to make it soggy? Maybe they are not cooking long enough?

southerngal

I have never tried this before so I am definitely adding it to the menu for our camping trip coming up in a few weeks. What a great idea! I think we may try a round with tortillas too. :)

Greatoutdoors

I am definitely going to have to give this a try! We are big sandwich eaters around here so I think it will be a hit with the whole family! :)